[BitPim-devel] APSW support for virtual tables?
Joe Pham
2007-01-08 23:11:33 UTC
Any chance we can get APSW to do virtual tables via Python loadable
modules? I'm thinking of using the feature to store media files info
in the DB and data in the virtual tables.

FREE Reminder Service - NEW from AmericanGreetings.com
Click HERE and never forget a Birthday or Anniversary again!
http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?s=197335&u=http://www.americangreetings.com/products/online_calendar.pd
Roger Binns
2007-01-09 00:54:06 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Any chance we can get APSW
I have pretty much finished APSW updates. Unfortunately I found a nasty
bug in SQLite which the author fixed today. SQLite 3.3.10 will be needed.
Post by Joe Pham
to do virtual tables
Virtual tables are done via plain Python code.
Post by Joe Pham
via Python loadable
modules?
Do you really mean loadable modules? SQLite has that feature (disabled
by default) and APSW has support for it. But it seems weird in this
context since you would have a separate Python interpreter.

http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=LoadableExtensions
Post by Joe Pham
I'm thinking of using the feature to store media files info
in the DB and data in the virtual tables.
http://bitpim.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/bitpim/subprojects/apsw/trunk/apsw.html?revision=3845&content-type=text%2Fhtml

At the end of the examples section you can see sample code for one and
there is more doc which you can find in the relevant section.

2007-01-09 23:00:32 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
to do virtual tables
Virtual tables are done via plain Python code.
Not sure we're talking about the same thing. This is what I meant:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=VirtualTables
Post by Roger Binns
Do you really mean loadable modules?
Maybe not, probably more of a plain sqlite3 module coded in python,
which would implement the backend of a virtual table storing those
media files on native filesystems.

Roger Binns
2007-01-10 00:58:13 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
Post by Joe Pham
to do virtual tables
Virtual tables are done via plain Python code.
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=VirtualTables
That is virtual tables and is implemented in the next release of APSW.
If you want I can make a binary distribution for Windows for you to
start looking at.
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
Do you really mean loadable modules?
Maybe not,
I didn't think you wanted a shared library that could be loaded into any
SQLite instance even other programs :-)

http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?s=197335&u=http://www.americangreetings.com/products/online_calendar.pd?c=uol5752
Roger Binns
2007-01-12 01:15:56 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
If you want I can make a binary distribution for Windows for you to
start looking at.
Please.
I'll be doing the release in the next 24 hours or so anyway. If that
doesn't work out, I'll email you the binary.

I've just got one obscure bug to track down. Unfortunately SQLite has a
nasty habit of ignoring error returns, and then they get stumbled on
later making for confusing situations. (This is just with the Vtable
code - the rest is rock solid).

2007-01-15 20:18:32 UTC
I'll be doing the release in the next 24 hours or so anyway. If that
doesn't work out, I'll email you the binary.
APSW was released last week. SF is sitting on emails for ages. You
need apsw-3.3.10 for the next BitPim release.

2007-01-15 21:04:20 UTC
APSW was released last week. SF is sitting on emails for ages. You
need apsw-3.3.10 for the next BitPim release.
I got it. I'm going to try out a few things and let you know.