[BitPim-devel] Re: Problem with UNICODE filenames still not fixed
Joe Pham
2005-10-11 03:32:29 UTC
There was more work than I thought before.
You certainly took the more difficult path and put in a lot of work. My approach was to allow users to have the option to specify the Storage Path in case the default one does not work. Obviously, the path needs to be an ascii one, which is no different that what BitPim does now. I have not looked at the code, but I'm concerned about the amount of code changes for such a feature, for which we also have a simple solution.

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Simon C
2005-10-11 04:11:27 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
There was more work than I thought before.
You certainly took the more difficult path and put in a lot of work. My
approach was to allow users to have the option to specify the Storage Path
in case the default one does not work. Obviously, the path needs to be an
ascii one, which is no different that what BitPim does now. I have not
looked at the code, but I'm concerned about the amount of code changes for
such a feature, for which we also have a simple solution.
I did think about that and to reduce the risk some of the new code only runs
if a Unicode exception occurs. There were only 3 "bad" functions that had to
be fixed, but they occurred in several places, so most of the changes were
similar.
The concern I had about adding a configuration option was that this would be
beyond most windows user's ability as they just expect the code to work
without having to worry about this kind of stuff, in my experience 99% of
them have trouble working a TV remote, so any help we can give them is good.
Anyway please do have a look at the code and see what you think.

Simon

P.S. Did you get a chance to look at the autosync stuff I sent you.
Joe Pham
2005-10-11 21:50:40 UTC
Post by Simon C
The concern I had about adding a configuration option was that this
would be beyond most windows user's ability as they just expect the
code to work without having to worry about this kind of stuff
And it does for the majority of Windows users.