[BitPim-devel] New APSW release
Roger Binns
2006-04-26 06:53:13 UTC
I've just released APSW 3.3.5 and it will be required
for the next BitPim build. There are several bugfixes
in SQLite 3.3 although we weren't very likely to run
into any of the bugs.

2006-04-26 22:45:34 UTC
I've just released APSW 3.3.5 and it will be required for the next
BitPim build.
Any chance you'd either improve this or have a separate version that supports SQLite 2.X? I prefer not have to add pysqlite 1.x.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Roger Binns
2006-04-27 05:14:45 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Any chance you'd either improve this or have a separate version that supports
SQLite 2.X? I prefer not have to add pysqlite 1.x.
The SQLite 2 api is completely different. SQLite 2 also works differently.
It only stores strings. The API then has to magically convert to integers
etc.

What is SQLite 2 needed for anyway?

2006-04-27 21:32:16 UTC
What is SQLite 2 needed for anyway?
The Samsung A950 stores its user's settings in a SQLite 2.x database file.

Roger Binns
2006-04-28 05:10:34 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
The Samsung A950 stores its user's settings in a SQLite 2.x database file.
Do you need to read and write to that? If the latter then you have to be
very careful. The SQLite file format does keep changing with older
versions not being able to read newer versions. Additionally it can
be compiled to omit many features. For example they may have compiled
it with a fixed endianess. And I doubt locking will work correctly
when going via the cable.

I could make a trivial API available to it, but would be extremely
wary of writing to the file. You may find it even easier just to
dig the values out of the file directly.

2006-04-28 06:14:00 UTC
Do you need to read and write to that?
Just read and not write due to all the reasons you stated. Since I seriously doubt Samsung implemented an ODBC over-the-usb server, I'd have to read the file off the phone and then query it.
Post by Roger Binns
I could make a trivial API available to it,
All I need is to access data in existing tables and nothing else.

Roger Binns
2006-04-28 07:28:57 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I could make a trivial API available to it,
All I need is to access data in existing tables and nothing else.
Have you had a look to see if you can just decode the file
directly? That would be a lot nicer than having to add another
C module to the code.

http://www.sqlite.org/fileformat.html

2006-04-29 01:17:06 UTC
Have you had a look to see if you can just decode the file directly?
Good info. Sounds like that'd be my only option now. Thanks.

Roger Binns
2006-04-30 00:13:26 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Have you had a look to see if you can just decode the file directly?
Good info. Sounds like that'd be my only option now. Thanks.
Another option is to include the sqlite2 binary in the helpers
directory. You can run sqlite2 -dump database and get a stream of SQL
which can be read via a pipe and passed to the real database after
suitably prefixing table names (eg with the phone ESN). However this
still adds another binary to the dependencies which will be a pain.