[Bitpim-devel] Mac Bitpim
Tom Ainscough
2003-04-09 06:21:06 UTC
Is anyone out there actually working on a compiled version of Bitpim
for the Mac? I'd be interested in trying it out.

(The directions for running Bitpim on a Mac that were posted earlier
didn't work for me...)
Tim Lowery
2003-04-09 19:12:04 UTC
Hi, Tom. There was some discussion last week about a compiled version
and Mac distribution using PackageMaker. An easy installation package
would greatly benefit potential Mac users. I certainly haven't started
this, and would welcome your efforts. I'm sure Roger, Alan, and others
will comment shortly as to the status.

Tim
didn't work for me...)
Roger Binns
2003-04-09 21:13:45 UTC
Post by Tim Lowery
Hi, Tom. There was some discussion last week about a compiled version
and Mac distribution using PackageMaker. An easy installation package
would greatly benefit potential Mac users. I certainly haven't started
this, and would welcome your efforts. I'm sure Roger, Alan, and others
will comment shortly as to the status.
I don't have access to Mac so there is no way I could even test
anything. I guess the best guide is what I consider my
own principles. I want the software to be really user friendly
and just do what people expect without getting in the way.
Unfortunately I only have so much time to give, so I do the
best in the circumstances. When I am way more comfortable with
it will be when "1.0" appears.

One of my biggest influences has been Alan Cooper. I don't do his ideas
and viewpoints justice, but do at least make a stab at it. Here sis a
really good article that explains it:

http://www.cooper.com/articles/art_goal_directed_design.htm

Roger
Alan Pinstein
2003-04-09 22:51:35 UTC
I plan on trying to roll out a Mac installer shortly.

I am the one that wrote the site for Mac install, and the step that gets most people is the CVS download. I thin I'll just SIT my checkout of the code and put it up for download unless anyone thinks that's a problem. Hopefully this will get more people going in the short-term.

Also, I would like for some unix-savvy Mac user to tell me for sure if CVS comes with OS X, and if so, which version. I have it on all my macs, but it has been there for 2+ years and I don't remember if I got it myself or not... I think it came with the sys as it's in /usr/bin but others can't seem to find a CVS on their machines... any help along these lines would be appreciated.

I do plan on working on a Mac installer, but it'll prolly be a week or more at the soonest.

Thanks!
Alan
Tim Lowery
2003-04-11 15:40:27 UTC
Post by Alan Pinstein
if CVS comes with OS X
Apple's website seems to imply that it's part of the Developer Tools,
which is available for free download. I'm using the latest tools (Dec
2002), and my version of CVS is 1.10. Here's a few useful links:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/cvsoverview.html
http://developer.apple.com/darwin/tools/cvs/docs.html
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/

Tim
Alan Pinstein
2003-04-11 15:45:10 UTC
Aha! That makes sense. I didn't remember ever downloading it
separately, but obviously lots of people didn't have it...

I think I'm just gonna stuff it and post the CVS archive on my site to
make life easier for the non-dev's.

Alan
Alan Pinstein
2003-04-11 16:05:57 UTC
Tom -

I have updated my lg vx 4400 instructions so that you no longer need to
deal with CVS! Thanks to the help of others, I have figured out that
CVS is only installed if you have installed Apple's Developer Tools.
Now you can just download a Stuffit (SIT) file with the bitpim
application.

Please try it out and let me know if it helps:

http://videogamexchange.com/sites/lg4400/

Regards,
Alan
2003-05-09 05:02:53 UTC
Post by Alan Pinstein
http://videogamexchange.com/sites/lg4400/
I've added this link to the main bitpim page now.

Is anyone any closer to making this even easier for Mac users?

Roger
Alan Pinstein
2003-05-09 12:05:38 UTC
Hey-

I have unfortunately gotten very busy with some other things and
haven't had a chance to play with BitPim in a while... I still hope to
get around to it, but it might be a while...

Alan