[Bitpim-devel] bitpim 0.7.13 on FC2 (via sourcforge rpm)
Drew Bertola
2004-06-29 21:40:51 UTC

I've downloaded the bitpim-0.7.13 rpm of of sf.net and it installed on
my FC2 box without a complaint. When I tried to run it (as normal user
or root), it failed to start up with:

# bitpim
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bp.py", line 57, in ?
File "gui.py", line 23, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/wxc.so", line 4, in ?
ImportError: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

I searched around for similar setups and errors, but didn't find a
thing. Any ideas how to fix this?

Drew
Drew Bertola
2004-06-29 21:57:59 UTC
Post by Drew Bertola
Hi,
I've downloaded the bitpim-0.7.13 rpm of of sf.net and it installed on
my FC2 box without a complaint. When I tried to run it (as normal user
# bitpim
File "bp.py", line 57, in ?
File "gui.py", line 23, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/wxc.so", line 4, in ?
ImportError: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory
I searched around for similar setups and errors, but didn't find a
thing. Any ideas how to fix this?
In answer to my own question :^) ...

I installed compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm from the FC2 distro
and this solved the problem.

I suppose there's a way of adding in a dependency for this additional
package. Maybe I'll have a looksie.

Drew
Roger Binns
2004-07-01 05:53:31 UTC
Post by Drew Bertola
I installed compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm from the FC2 distro
and this solved the problem.
I suppose there's a way of adding in a dependency for this additional
package. Maybe I'll have a looksie.
Sadly there is no standard way of fixing this. The package is built on
Redhat 9. If you are using a Linux distribution that postdates Redhat
9, and especially the version of Glibc then you will need some sort
of compat libraries. But Linux versions from the same generation
don't need any compat libraries. In fact that generation has compat
libraries, but they are for the prior generation.

Actually there is a standard way of doing this which is to do a
build for each and every version of Linux out there. There is
no way I will waste my time like that, but if someone else
wants to (every two weeks) then let me know.

Roger
Drew Bertola
2004-07-01 06:07:26 UTC
Post by Drew Bertola
I installed compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.126.i386.rpm from the FC2 distro
and this solved the problem.
I suppose there's a way of adding in a dependency for this additional
package. Maybe I'll have a looksie.
Sadly there is no standard way of fixing this. The package is built on
Redhat 9. If you are using a Linux distribution that postdates Redhat
9, and especially the version of Glibc then you will need some sort
of compat libraries. But Linux versions from the same generation
don't need any compat libraries. In fact that generation has compat
libraries, but they are for the prior generation.
Actually there is a standard way of doing this which is to do a
build for each and every version of Linux out there. There is
no way I will waste my time like that, but if someone else
wants to (every two weeks) then let me know.
Well, then a good solution is to mention it specifically in the help
section on the website. Why did I have to guess at the solution since
it's known? A long google search turned up nothing. If this was in a
faq, it would surely have been returned by google as item #1.

Please consider adding a section for this with a sentence for each
distro.

Drew
Roger Binns
2004-07-01 06:49:10 UTC
Post by Drew Bertola
Well, then a good solution is to mention it specifically in the help
section on the website. Why did I have to guess at the solution since
it's known?
Eh? You come off very whiny although that may not have been your
intention.

Most Linux distros automatically install the compat packages so
that older software just works. It is a bit silly to break older
software on installing the new version of the distro.

linuxiso.org lists 45 Linux distributions for x86 (which is a small
portion of all those that exist). Feel free to download and test
all of them so we can have the perfect docs. I eagerly await your
report.
Post by Drew Bertola
A long google search turned up nothing. If this was in a
faq, it would surely have been returned by google as item #1.
The reason why Google returned nothing is because you are the
first person *ever* to mention this with BitPim (for any
Linux distribution).
Post by Drew Bertola
Please consider adding a section for this with a sentence for each
distro.
You mean like already exists on the page? The big grey box. Look
again.

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/#download-devel

The reason there is no line for FC2 is because I don't use it,
and noone else who does has mentioned that they don't install
the compat libs by default.

Arguably you should be whining at Fedora, not me.