[Bitpim-devel] Cables
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 08:12:43 UTC
Stephen,

Can you email me pics of the RPI cables so that I can add them to the help?

Everyone else,

I would like to improve the help for the various phones, especially the cable
options available. Start at http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/phones.htm

The page for the VX4400 cables is the template. Pages should show pictures
of each cable, and then discussion about drivers, and I would like to tidy
it all up.

I would appreciate people letting me know of other cables that have been
missed, particular ones that are sold publically such as at Radio Shack
or by Verizon.

For ones sold by random vendors on eBay, they need to follow the bottom of
http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/contributing.htm
(We want to verify the cables are ok, and adequate/appropriate drivers are
provided especially for Linux and Mac, as well as them actually working
with the relevant phones).

I now have 5 (yes five) USB hubs and 6 USB phone cables on my desk :-)

Roger
Michael Casteel
2004-03-07 19:28:20 UTC
I think there's one thing that can be improved in the help for the 4400.
Reading all I could find in the help and online, I was left with the
distinct impression that Mac OS X 10.3 included suitable drivers for the
Radio Shack USB/Serial cable. I wasn't able to get BitPim working, until
a poster pointed me to the drivers to download for OS X.

It seems that OS X 10.3 does *not* include suitable drivers, although
I'm quite sure that the help stated it did.
--
Mike Casteel
***@casteel.org Seattle, WA
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 19:42:25 UTC
Post by Michael Casteel
I think there's one thing that can be improved in the help for the 4400.
Reading all I could find in the help and online, I was left with the
distinct impression that Mac OS X 10.3 included suitable drivers for the
Radio Shack USB/Serial cable. I wasn't able to get BitPim working, until
a poster pointed me to the drivers to download for OS X.
It seems that OS X 10.3 does *not* include suitable drivers, although
I'm quite sure that the help stated it did.
The help does clearly state you need drivers:

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/lg4400-cables.htm

Roger
Michael Casteel
2004-03-07 20:22:20 UTC
http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/lg4400-cables.htm
Good.

Wondering where I got the other impression, I see that it was the help
page you get from the Help menu in BitPim 0.62, which contains the
incorrect statement "Mac OS X has drivers builtin".

That's obviously what had me going down the wrong path originally.
--
Mike Casteel
***@casteel.org Seattle, WA
Roger Binns
2004-03-07 20:34:50 UTC
Post by Michael Casteel
Wondering where I got the other impression, I see that it was the help
page you get from the Help menu in BitPim 0.62, which contains the
incorrect statement "Mac OS X has drivers builtin".
That's obviously what had me going down the wrong path originally.
Yup. If someone wants to update the 0.62 help I would be quite happy.

I do all my work on 0.7 :-)