[Bitpim-devel] Notes on Samsung phones
Stephen Wood
2004-10-07 14:04:20 UTC
I have started a document about the phonebook protocol for Samsung
phones, samsungnotes.txt in the cvs examples directory:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bitpim/bitpim/examples/samsungnotes.txt

Additions to these notes are most welcome.

A while ago I started, vga1000notes.txt. I will remove that file at
some point after samsungnotes.txt has everything I was trying to put
into vga1000notes.txt.

Owners of other Samsung phones may want to look at vga1000notes.txt.
Strings read from the phonebook with PBOKR are enclosed in double
quotes. So this raises the question, what happens if a name contains a
". For the vga1000, PBOKR sends a } followed by a 0x02. And then } is
encoded by }]. It would be good to see if that is universal, and if
that is really the whole story on escaping of special characters.

Stephen
Vic Heintz
2004-10-07 20:31:30 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
I have started a document about the phonebook protocol for Samsung
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/bitpim/bitpim/examples/
samsungnotes.txt
Additions to these notes are most welcome.
I will update the A670 info as I find it. I have never edited anything
in the bitpim source tree. I have only updated the tree anonymously. I
tried doing a "cvs commit examples/samsungnotes.txt" but it seems I
need to be logged in non-anonymously. I don't know if I can recall the
password or user name I may have used when I first set this up.

As for Mike's comments in the other thread.
Post by Stephen Wood
Entry #38, location 38, 2?, 1?, contact name in quotes, 0?, 0?, home
phone number, 0?, office phone number, 0?, mobile phone number, 0?,
pager number, 0?, fax number, 0?, alias, 0?, two more commas, email
address in quotes, 3?, 0?, filename of associated image in quotes,
timestamp.
This entry was specified as speed dial "home", and belonged to group
"co-worker". That group in my phone appears to be the third group
(friend=1, family=2, coworker=3). I also specified ringtone "bell 1",
which is the first available choice beyond "inactive".
I'd say the format looks exactly the same for his A610 as my A670. The
group choices are numbered starting at 0 so friend=0, family=1,
coworker=2 (these groups can be renamed by the user). Hence Mike sees a
2 (for coworker) as the 3rd returned field. He sees a 1 as the 4th
field for his choice of "bell 1" as his ringer. Mike sees a 0 in the
6th returned field because he selected the "home" number for speed
dial. (0=home,1=work,2=mobile,3=pager,4=fax) Entirely consistent with
my findings.

Vic
Stephen Wood
2004-10-07 21:29:51 UTC
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 16:31, Vic Heintz wrote:
Post by Vic Heintz
I will update the A670 info as I find it. I have never edited anything
in the bitpim source tree. I have only updated the tree anonymously. I
tried doing a "cvs commit examples/samsungnotes.txt" but it seems I
need to be logged in non-anonymously. I don't know if I can recall the
password or user name I may have used when I first set this up.
Writing to the cvs tree is only open to developers. If you want to
update it, just send me a replacement file and I'll check it in.

Stephen