[Bitpim-devel] Mac OS X and wxPython
Tim Lowery
2003-03-22 01:46:51 UTC
Hi All,

I'm attempting to run the application under Mac OS X. Following the
latest notes on wxpython.org website I installed wxPythonOSX and
MacPython-OSX 2.3a2. I'm able to run sample apps, Hello, interactive
use, etc.

However, when I start up BitPim, I get the following error message (see
below). Any thoughts on how to get this to work? Or, is there a
workaround?

Tim

------------------------

wxPyAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxAssertFailure" failed in
../src/generic/listctrl.cpp(5119): can't add column in non report mode

Trackback (innermost last):

File "bp.py", line 20, in ?
gui.run(sys.argv)
File "gui.py", line 239, in run
m=MainApp(args)
File "gui.py", line 223, in __init__
frame=MainWindow(None, -1, "BitPim", self.config)
File "gui.py", line 322, in __init__
self.wallpaperwidget=guiwidgets.WallpaperView(self, self.nb)
File "guiwidgets.py", line 839, in __init__
FileView.__init__(self, mainwindow, parent, id,
style=wxLC_ICON|wxLC_SINGLE_SEL)
File "guiwidgets.py", line 575, in __init__
self.InsertColumn(0, "Name")
File "controls2.py", line 613, in InsertColumn
val = apply(controls2c.wxListCtrl_InsertColumn,(self,) + _args,
_kwargs)
Roger Binns
2003-03-22 04:04:10 UTC
Post by Tim Lowery
I'm attempting to run the application under Mac OS X. Following the
Cool. I assume you are working from CVS. The particular area you are
hitting is the list control I use. On Windows it can switch from
displaying images to displaying a number of fields.

On wxGTK it can't do that switch so I disable it. Looks like
Mac can't either. In guiwidgets.py, look for gui.IsGtk().
Replace it with 1. See if that fixes it.

2003-03-23 04:58:57 UTC
Post by Tim Lowery
I'm attempting to run the application under Mac OS X. Following the
Cool. I assume you are working from CVS. The particular area you are
hitting is the list control I use. On Windows it can switch from
displaying images to displaying a number of fields.
On wxGTK it can't do that switch so I disable it. Looks like
Mac can't either. In guiwidgets.py, look for gui.IsGtk().
Replace it with 1. See if that fixes it.
Did that get you anywhere?

Roger
Tim Lowery
2003-03-23 07:28:23 UTC
On wxGTK it can't do that switch so I disable it. Looks like
Mac can't either. In guiwidgets.py, look for gui.IsGtk().
Replace it with 1. See if that fixes it.
Yep, that did the trick! Thanks, Roger. The application launches and
displays the window with tabs. In gui.py I changed IsGtk() to return
true. I guess there's some platform specific test we can use to return
true/false accordingly. I'm not too well versed with Python at this
stage.

Also, the application window is 1/2 inch square and has to be resized.
This happens with the Hello sample, so I assume it has something to do
with the Mac OS X implementation of wxPython (setting the default
window size).

I'll test with the USB cable tomorrow.

Tim
Roger Binns
2003-03-23 09:04:37 UTC
Post by Tim Lowery
true. I guess there's some platform specific test we can use to return
true/false accordingly.
I'll add a 'capability' test in instead and the innards of that will
match against the various platforms. I personally only have Windows
and Linux available which makes it hard to figure out where issues
are.
Post by Tim Lowery
Also, the application window is 1/2 inch square and has to be resized.
This happens with the Hello sample, so I assume it has something to do
with the Mac OS X implementation of wxPython (setting the default
window size).
At some point I'll set a non-default size, probably remembering in
the config what the previous size was.