[BitPim-devel] Is there a general minimum amount of functionality required for a phone's inclusion?
Andrew Zitnay
2006-04-09 05:10:01 UTC
Last year, I started working on BitPim support for my current phone, the LG
VI-125 (Sprint PCS). I started out very motivated, intending to get as many
of BitPim's features working on the 125 as I could. I got phonebook reading
working almost flawlessly without too much effort, but I kept running into
roadblocks while attempting to make phonebook writing work in an acceptable
fashion.

I eventually just gave up, as my free time started to dry up. I still have
the working code for phonebook reading, though (I use it occasionally to
back up my phonebook), and I was wondering if it would be acceptable to
include in BitPim with only phonebook reading turned on, and nothing else.

If so, I guess I'll need to be reminded on how best to send you guys the
source files.

Drew
Stephen Wood
2006-04-09 17:17:09 UTC
Even just phonebook reading is a useful thing. And even if that isn't
working perfectly, it would be good to get the code checked into the
Subversion repository so that others could look at it.

For us to include you code, you need to either put it under the license we
use, or assign the copyright to one of the main developers. (Probably Simon
as he as worked on the LG 225 and 325 quite a bit.)

Try just sending the code to me as an attachment. If the mail messes up the
formatting, I'll either fix it or work with you for another way to send it.

Thanks, Stephen
Drew
Andrew Zitnay
2006-04-09 18:07:24 UTC
Ok, I've sent the files directly to your e-mail address, Stephen.

As far as I can tell, phonebook reading is working perfectly (or close to
it). I've done extensive work on phonebook writing as well, and I think
it's pretty close, but I have it disabled for now since it still has some
major problems.

Drew

_____

Thanks, Stephen
Stephen Wood
2006-04-09 19:48:48 UTC
Post by Andrew Zitnay
Ok, I've sent the files directly to your e-mail address, Stephen.
I got them. I'll check them in some time today.

Thanks, Stephen
Simon C
2006-04-09 20:17:55 UTC
Andrew,

If you are willing to spend some time on this I can work with you to
complete the vi-125 support.
If you are and can access the file system on the phone send me a backup of
the filesystem (privately).

Simon
Stephen Wood
2006-04-09 21:23:18 UTC
Andrew's code is now checked in. I put it in the debug list, just in case
an official build is imminent, so that it doesn't get included before Andrew
can check if the checked in code works.

Stephen
Andrew Zitnay
2006-04-10 00:52:54 UTC
That sounds great to me... I've sent you a filesystem backup from my phone.
With all your experience, it might be more obvious to you what I was doing
wrong regarding phonebook writing.

Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Drew

Andrew Zitnay
2006-04-10 00:54:17 UTC
Thanks... I moved my files out of the way and updated my svn tree, and
phonebook reading is working well.

Drew

_____