[Bitpim-devel] BitPim crash on Fedora linux
Stephen Wood
2004-06-25 04:22:39 UTC
I am able to run the latest Linux build (0.7.13) on a RedHat Enterprise
(WS release 3 Taroon Update 2) and a Fedora Core 1 system. However, on
my laptop, also running Fedora Core 1, the build bitpim crashes on
startup with:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bp.py", line 57, in ?
File "gui.py", line 23, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py", line 45, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/wxc.so", line 4, in ?
ImportError: /usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.13/wxPython.wxc.so: symbol __ti7wxEvent, version WXGTKD_2.4 not defined in file libwx_gtkd-2.4.so with link time reference

Any suggestions of what differences to look for between this FC1 system
and the other? I run the CVS version on both FC1 systems without
problem.

Stephen
Roger Binns
2004-06-25 06:09:23 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
ImportError: /usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.13/wxPython.wxc.so: symbol __ti7wxEvent, version WXGTKD_2.4 not defined in file
libwx_gtkd-2.4.so with link time reference
Mea culpa.

This is due to a minor build error. The shipped wxPython libraries have
the location of their other libraries hard coded in them (using RPATH).
When I made a RH9 build environment under VirtualPC, I didn't include the
chrpath tool which is invoked during the build process to strip out
the RPATH information. Unfortunately the build process doesn't
detect that chrpath is missing. I have just remedied that.

So the build looks in /usr/lib/wxPython/somethingorother first for
its libraries and then in the bitpim directory. Because the RPATH
is not stripped and you have libraries below /usr/lib/wxPython,
you are getting a mix of the two and the consequent failure.

The easiest fix is to download chrpath (Google it, the source
is on ftp.hungry.com) and put the binary on your path. Then

# cd /usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.13
# for i in *.so ; do chrpath -d $i ; done

0.7.12 will also have had this problem.

Roger
Stephen Wood
2004-06-26 04:31:04 UTC
Post by Stephen Wood
ImportError: /usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.13/wxPython.wxc.so: symbol __ti7wxEvent, version WXGTKD_2.4 not defined in file
libwx_gtkd-2.4.so with link time reference
The easiest fix is to download chrpath (Google it, the source
is on ftp.hungry.com) and put the binary on your path. Then
# cd /usr/lib/bitpim-0.7.13
# for i in *.so ; do chrpath -d $i ; done
0.7.12 will also have had this problem.
Roger
Doing chrpath on all the .so files left me with

Fatal Python error: Invalid magic
Aborted

But just doing it to wxPython.wxc.so seemed to do the trick.

Stephen