[BitPim-devel] A few questions...
Ed leNoir
2005-02-20 23:38:37 UTC
I've got the files for the LG PM-325 getting and sending the basic phone book entries. What's the preferred protocol for checking in? Is it check in often, or wait until it's production ready? I don't have ringers, speeddials or wallpaper ready yet.

Next, the brew protocol for the phone book doesn't seem to have an entry for the wall paper. Are there other codes I should be trying to find an "extended" protocol format? I can see the needed relationship in the file system under pim/pbookcontact.dat and setas/amsImageIndex.map, but if I have to update pbookcontact.dat then I might as well replace ALL of the brew phonebook update functionality, and that looks to be way overkill.

- Ed
Roger Binns
2005-02-21 04:22:24 UTC
Post by Ed leNoir
I've got the files for the LG PM-325 getting and sending the basic phone book entries.
What's the preferred protocol for checking in?
The amount of functionality doesn't matter. What is there should be reasonably safe
in that it doesn't destroy user's data. (ie it is better to get one thing working
well rather than lots of things working badly)

Then post your changes to this group. Make sure to include text for the versionhistory
file which sets expectations appropriately.
Post by Ed leNoir
I don't have ringers, speeddials or wallpaper ready yet.
That doesn't matter. Just make sure the phone profile turns them off in the user
interface.
Post by Ed leNoir
Next, the brew protocol for the phone book doesn't seem to have an entry for the
wall paper.
The "brew protocol" does files in the embedded filesystem only. The LG phonebook
protocol is at a higher level and operates on phonebook records.
Post by Ed leNoir
but if I have to update pbookcontact.dat then I might as well replace ALL of the
brew phonebook update functionality, and that looks to be way overkill.
I always avoid modifying the files directly instead of using the sync protocol.
That means that you don't get caught out by other data dependencies - for example
the call history may link into the phonebook and if you directly update the
phonebook file, you could make the phone crash due to broken linkage.

One possibility is to update everything you can using the phonebook protocol and
then patching the file to update the wallpaper info. That is far less risky.

Roger
Ed leNoir
2005-02-21 05:41:55 UTC
The amount of functionality doesn't matter. What is there should be reasonably safe
in that it doesn't destroy user's data. (ie it is better to get one thing
working well rather than lots of things working badly)
Ok, I'm almost to that point. The last thing I was missing in the phone
book protocol was the speed dial, and I just got that worked out. Now I
just need to do some more defensive testing.
Roger Binns
2005-02-21 06:08:35 UTC
Ed leNoir
2005-02-21 21:19:40 UTC
The versionhistory blurb.
The help files are actually .htd and are pre-processed to form the HTML.
Tell me what files you want and where they should go in the hiearchy.
I have to add them using the help authoring tool. The content can come
later.
I'll put together some blurbs and the heirarchy.
I'll keep looking for extended protocol values.
I never found anything when I tried however many years ago.
Did you just capture the serial info from FutureDial or other product to
figure out the protocol? I haven't tried the escaped-from-the-lab QPST yet,
but is this another thing to try?

Is this protocol just something Qualcomm or a third party did for Sprint -
is the protocol just part of the phone OS - maybe written using the Brew
SDK?
On the phones I did, the voicedials hook into entry numbers or serials
for entries. Another reason for the laborious update process that
tries to keep entry numbers the same, and definitely keeps the serials
the same.
The protocol on this phone has two serials, but no entry number. May be why
the voice dials are disappearing.

- Ed
Roger Binns
2005-02-22 04:51:27 UTC
Post by Ed leNoir
Did you just capture the serial info from FutureDial or other product to
figure out the protocol?
I sniffed DataPilot. If they didn't have license restrictions of one
host computer installation, or crappy VX4400 support, I'd never have
started BitPim! Note that they only allow their software to be installed
on one machine. They don't even allow you to install on multiple machines
provided you only use one at a time. Given that many people, like me
at the time, have work and home desktops and laptops it was a self
defeating choice by them. Of course I also probably the only person
who bothers reading the EULAs.
Post by Ed leNoir
I haven't tried the escaped-from-the-lab QPST yet,
but is this another thing to try?
If it is legal for you to do so.
http://bitpim.org/papers/phonespecs/
Post by Ed leNoir
The protocol on this phone has two serials, but no entry number. May be why
the voice dials are disappearing.
If it is using the same protocol as the other LG phones then it definitely
has entry numbers. You may only be told about them in the command that
advances the cursor.

Roger
Ed leNoir
2005-02-23 06:16:30 UTC
If it is using the same protocol as the other LG phones then it definitely
has entry numbers. You may only be told about them in the command that
advances the cursor.
I'll snoop out the cursor advancement packets with analyser. The phone book
entry itself definitely does not have an entry number in it anymore - I've
found all fields but two, and those two I've never seen anything but zeros
in them. Currently I'm passing just serial1 into the delete packet, with
zero in the entrynumber and that is deleting the item.

- Ed

Ed leNoir
2005-02-23 06:34:38 UTC
By the way, I apologize to other users when I forget to remove the original
message from posts. I'll try to get better at my list etiquette. I need
the option ON for other things I'm working on, so it's up to my memory to
remove the posts to this list.

- Ed