[BitPim-devel] Top tip
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 04:41:32 UTC
I'd forgotten all about this. There is a developer console
builtin to BitPim. (The web site text has been updated).

Add "console = 1" to your .bitpim file and it will appear.

BTW how is everyone liking Subversion? I am even more
enamoured with TortoiseSVN than I used to be :-)

Roger
Simon C
2006-03-18 05:13:11 UTC
I'd forgotten all about this. There is a developer console
builtin to BitPim. (The web site text has been updated).
Add "console = 1" to your .bitpim file and it will appear.
I'd noticed it, what is it for?
Post by Roger Binns
BTW how is everyone liking Subversion? I am even more
enamoured with TortoiseSVN than I used to be :-)
I like the branching and directory versioning. The Tortoise bit is very
similar to the cvs version. I don't like the version tree, it makes no
sense. The merge tool is great, it is the only one I know that lets you
reverse changes on screen rather than having to use an editor.

BTW, the tree view is progressing, if you grab the skyjunky branch you can
see where I've gotten to with this. Most existing functionality has been
restored and the tree is working fully. If you get the source you can see
what loading multiple databases at the same time looks like (edit gui.py).
I'm still not sure what to do with this capability yet.
I've been working over the call history widget, it now has a stats page in
addition to the actual data.
I'd like to get feedback about the approach I've taken, what are your
opinions about replacing the tabs with the trees?

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 05:25:07 UTC
Post by Simon C
Post by Roger Binns
I'd forgotten all about this. There is a developer console
builtin to BitPim. (The web site text has been updated).
Add "console = 1" to your .bitpim file and it will appear.
I'd noticed it, what is it for?
Try it.
Post by Simon C
The Tortoise bit is very similar to the cvs version.
I think it is orders of magnitude better. I always ended up using
the command line instead of Tortoise for CVS.
Post by Simon C
I don't like the version tree, it makes no sense.
There is a deeper discussion of it on the Perforce web site (they
use the same system).

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/branch.html

Note that they use the term "integration" to mean applying a
change from one place to another (ie we would call it "merge").
In Perforce's case they do remember what has been merged where.
This is useful in companies that have to customise their product
per customer. Using a gui they can clearly see where changes
have or haven't been applied.
Post by Simon C
The merge tool is great, it is the only one I know that lets you
reverse changes on screen rather than having to use an editor.
It is the only free one. The big expensive commercial ones (eg
ClearCase) have this kind of thing. Then again you usually have
one or more people whose only job is to babysit it.
Post by Simon C
I'd like to get feedback about the approach I've taken, what are your
opinions about replacing the tabs with the trees?
I am checking it out now.

2006-03-18 06:45:49 UTC
Post by Simon C
I'd like to get feedback about the approach I've taken, what are your
opinions about replacing the tabs with the trees?
I am checking it out now.
The file widgets.py (imported from line 51 of guiwidgets.py) is missing.

Roger
Greg Pratt
2006-03-18 06:07:39 UTC
On Friday, 17 March 2006, Roger Binns is rumored to have said...
Post by Roger Binns
BTW how is everyone liking Subversion? I am even more
enamoured with TortoiseSVN than I used to be :-)
I'd probably love it if I could use it. But that's my problem...

What do people here use for a Subversion client on other Unix systems or
Mac OS X? There's no svn client that comes with the latter, and I'm not
looking forward to building the 48 MB of source code (uncompressed) that
comprises Subversion 1.3.0 just so I can retrieve the dev code.

More tomorrow on why I am here.

--
Gregory Pratt ***@panix.com
East Rutherford, NJ, USA http://www.panix.com/~gp/
PGP Key Fingerprint: DC60 FCDE 91E2 3D41 91A3 45DB B474 3D3A 3621 AAFE
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 06:48:37 UTC
Post by Greg Pratt
What do people here use for a Subversion client on other Unix systems or
Mac OS X?
I just use the command line version.
Post by Greg Pratt
There's no svn client that comes with the latter,
You don't have to build it yourself (I certainly didn't). From
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html there is a link
to this site which has a dmg with conventional installer:

http://metissian.com/projects/macosx/subversion/

Roger
Simon C

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 10:38:33 UTC
Post by Simon C
Post by Roger Binns
Post by Simon C
opinions about replacing the tabs with the trees?
I am checking it out now.
I think it looks really good.

2006-03-18 18:14:26 UTC
I am checking it out now.
I think it looks really good.
I think so too. I also think the tree-view BitPim icon should be the program icon, or vice versa.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 18:57:11 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I also think the tree-view BitPim icon should be the program icon, or vice versa.
It is about time we got a new program icon, but will need it at a
variety of resolutions (22x22 for toolbar, 32x32 for Windows icon,
48x48/64x64 for big Windows and Mac).

A new splash screen would be nice too.

Roger
Greg Pratt
2006-03-19 04:43:32 UTC
On Saturday, 18 March 2006, Roger Binns is rumored to have said...
Post by Roger Binns
It is about time we got a new program icon, but will need it at a
variety of resolutions (22x22 for toolbar, 32x32 for Windows icon,
48x48/64x64 for big Windows and Mac).
Mac OS X uses 128x128 for its largest icon size (actually the
"thumbnail"). While you can specify intermediate sizes (48x48, 32x32,
16x16, and 12x12), each in 32-bit color, as well as 8-bit, 4-bit, or
1-bit (black and white). Masks (the part of the icon that can be
selected) can also be expressed as traditional 1-bit masks, or as an
8-bit mask (for highlighting the icon in shades). The OS can nicely
scale the icons between these sizes (such as for the Dock).

Simon C
2006-03-18 18:37:56 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
I think it looks really good.
I think so too. I also think the tree-view BitPim icon
should be the program icon, or vice versa.
Do you have a preference between the new root icon and the existing program
icon?

Simon
Simon C
2006-03-18 19:35:45 UTC
It is about time we got a new program icon, but will need it
at a variety of resolutions (22x22 for toolbar, 32x32 for
Windows icon,
48x48/64x64 for big Windows and Mac).
The source of the antenna is a vector graphic so we can get all of these. If
you are all ok with the antenna I'll do this.
Post by Roger Binns
A new splash screen would be nice too.
We need an artist to volunteer :)

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-18 20:17:56 UTC
Post by Simon C
The source of the antenna is a vector graphic so we can get all of these. If
you are all ok with the antenna I'll do this.
I'm pretty sure I've seen something like that antenna icon. It is also
reminiscent of the RSS icon:

http://blogs.msdn.com/rssteam/archive/2005/12/14/503778.aspx

Roger
Simon C
2006-03-21 03:10:13 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I am checking it out now.
I think it looks really good.
I think so too. I also think the tree-view BitPim icon
should be the program icon, or vice versa.
I'm at the point where I want to figure out how to merge this back into the
main line.
There are several other changes I'd like to make but the merge does not
require them.
For the merge the help screens/text need updating, the today page needs to
be fixed (does not jump to the clicked items widget), and need to come up
with a cool widget for the root. At the moment all I can think of is showing
settings and stats info or amybe some extracts from the help and webpage.
(any suggestions?)

Other tree releated changes (post merge?):
-Add separate leaves on tree for each origin in wallpaper and ringer to make
managing origins easier.
-Add contact and group nodes in tree under phonebook so users can manage
groups via tree. Change the list display in the phonebook to use the -same
control as in the sms/call history widgets.
-Add right click menus to all widgets (only sms and call history have them
at the moment)
-Allow users to switch phone configurations without restarting bitpim or
using command line options.
-Add drag and drop.
-Other ideas?

If anyone wants to help out with this it would be great :)

Thoughts?
Roger Binns
2006-03-21 06:08:37 UTC
Post by Simon C
I'm at the point where I want to figure out how to merge this back into the
main line.
The 0.8.09 release has been branched off so you can whack away at the main
trunk.