[BitPim-devel] bitpim and libusb
Nathan Hjelm
2010-01-13 01:33:53 UTC
It looks like some change in 10.6.2 finally broke something in libusb 0.1. Since libusb 0.1 is no longer maintained (and there are many unfixed bugs-- that I finally fixed in the 1.0 backend) I suggest we change native/usb to use libusb-1. Both linux and darwin are fully supported by libusb-1 and significant progress has been made on a Windows port. Is anyone opposed to this change? If not I would like to make the changes before the release of 1.0.7.
Aaron M. Ucko
2010-01-13 19:06:58 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Is anyone opposed to this change? If not I would like to
make the changes before the release of 1.0.7.
That sounds reasonable. In the long term, you might want to consider
migrating to PyUSB <http://pyusb.berlios.de/>, but its stable branch
only supports libusb 0.1, so that's not really an option just yet.
Finger ***@monk.mit.edu (NOT a valid e-mail address) for more info.
Sean Patrick Burke
2010-01-13 20:43:22 UTC
A move to libusb 1.0 would help on the mac side as well.
--
Sean Patrick Burke
Full time law student, part time developer
Nathan Hjelm
2010-01-15 05:55:31 UTC
Attached is a working (on 10.6.2 anyway) prototype of native/usb1 (and modifications -- not yet ready to be committed-- to usbscan.py and commport.py). Please give the new module a try. Note that the library path is hardcoded for macos (/opt/local/lib/libusb-1.0.dylib) and will need to be updated to support linux/bsd.

The module uses ctypes instead of SWIG because I felt this approach would be cleaner and easier to maintain. Any comments on this approach?

Joe, do you have any comments?

h***@hotmail.com
2010-01-13 19:41:28 UTC
David Gatwood
2010-01-13 20:37:05 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
It looks like some change in 10.6.2 finally broke something in libusb 0.1. Since libusb 0.1 is no longer maintained (and there are many unfixed bugs-- that I finally fixed in the 1.0 backend) I suggest we change native/usb to use libusb-1. Both linux and darwin are fully supported by libusb-1 and significant progress has been made on a Windows port. Is anyone opposed to this change? If not I would like to make the changes before the release of 1.0.7.
That would be great. While you're at it, if you're the person building the Mac OS X version, could you include the libusb library inside the app bundle?

David
h***@hotmail.com
h***@hlmarks.com