[BitPim-devel] LX350 Research and Development
David P. Zimmerman
2006-06-27 20:09:33 UTC
Hello,

I am interested in helping develop a working bitpim profile for my
LG LX350 phone. I have downloaded bitpim and I am able to access
the file system of the phone. This allows me to download pictures
from the phone. I can not add pictures as I have noted at least
3 other files that are updated as pictures are taken by the phone's
camera.

A little background.

I have bitpim running on Suse 10 linux. In order to get the proper
port access I have to open a terminal session and su to root. At
that point I can start up bitpim and it will allow access to the
diagnostic port on the phone via the USB cable I obtained on ebay.

The settings I am using are Other CDMA phone and I have to select
the diagnostic port each time. I then have to refresh the file
system which gives me an updated view of what is in the phone.

Do you as developers have a data structure template for keeping
track of Hex dumps from various parts of the phones file system
or are you mostly using code that is already in place for file
manipulation?

I have write access to some parts of the phone's file system as
I tried adding a jpg file to the area where camera pictures are
stored.

The phone did not recognize the file, even though I could add it
and delete it via bitpim. This is what caused me to start
to examine how the file system stores information on the
directory I was looking at.

I do not wish to reinvent the wheel if there are already code
modules in place for updating file systems on LG phones. If
there are not code modules that keep track of the file system then
perhaps I can assist in creating them.

If someone else is already working on the LX350 I would be happy
to communicate with them and share the labor of picking through
how this phone stores data.

dzimmerm
Simon C
2006-06-28 03:07:26 UTC
Post by David P. Zimmerman
Do you as developers have a data structure template for
keeping track of Hex dumps from various parts of the phones
file system or are you mostly using code that is already in
place for file manipulation?
Not really, although you can use existing phones as templates for new ones
by inheriting from the existing code.
Post by David P. Zimmerman
I do not wish to reinvent the wheel if there are already code
modules in place for updating file systems on LG phones. If
there are not code modules that keep track of the file system
then perhaps I can assist in creating them.
I suspect the lx225 (com_lglx225.py) is very close, the lx325 is identical
to the lg-225 with the exception of phone detection and inherits most of the
code. You could try setting the phone model to one of these and see what
happens. (make sure get data works before trying send or you will mess up
your phone).
Post by David P. Zimmerman
If someone else is already working on the LX350 I would be
happy to communicate with them and share the labor of picking
through how this phone stores data.
I am not aware of anyone doing so, I can provide help, this is a fairly new
phone it would be good for bitpim to support it.

Simon
Stephen Wood
2006-06-29 08:02:19 UTC
Post by David P. Zimmerman
Hello,
I have bitpim running on Suse 10 linux. In order to get the proper
port access I have to open a terminal session and su to root. At
that point I can start up bitpim and it will allow access to the
diagnostic port on the phone via the USB cable I obtained on ebay.
Look at help BitPim for hints on setting device partitions so you don't have
to run as root. The notes are written from the perspective of RedHat or
Fedora, but similar ideas should apply to other distributions.

Stephen
David P. Zimmerman
2006-06-30 23:45:09 UTC
Stephen,

Thanks, I will take another look at that when I get a chance.
I think I made the decision to not pursue that when I first
set up bitpim as it was easy, in linux, to su for the
terminal session I was running and then when I closed that
session down I did not need to worry about lax security due
to allowing more access to parts of my linux OS.

I played with my LX350 and bitpim quite a bit a few nights
ago and it looks like the way to get ring tones into the
LX350 might be through the voice memo option. You can
record a voice memo and use that as a ring tone. This is
much the same as when you capture a picture and use it as
a wallpaper. The quality of the audio is not high, probably
due to the microphone cutting out non voice frequencies.

The reason I bring this up is those two parts of the file
system are writable via bitpim. I have not gotten the phone's
os to recognize what I have written to the two parts of the
file system but I have hopes it will be possible. The
question will be whether LG or Sprint have made the control
files for those two parts of the file system protected. If
they are not then it might be a matter of updating the file
system pointers to the voice memo and the video capture
directories when you add files of the proper type. Once the
phones OS recognizes them then we will have write access
for ringers and wallpaper.
Hello,