[Bitpim-devel] Please check a file
Roger Binns
2003-09-29 23:14:29 UTC
I would greatly appreciate it if everyone (including those with phones
other than the 4400) can check the following file:

/nvm/$SYS.ESN

It should be around 97 bytes long, and start with FF until position 0x55.
The next 4 bytes are your ESN in hex (and in little endian).

My question is if the contents of this file every change for anyone over
time, such as if you roam.

The new synchronization code needs to generate a unique id for each phone.
I am currently checksumming the whole file. That obviously depends on the
file contents never changing :-)

Roger
Alan Gonzalez
2003-09-29 23:51:10 UTC
Ok i'll keep an eye on it.
Post by Roger Binns
I would greatly appreciate it if everyone (including those with phones
/nvm/$SYS.ESN
It should be around 97 bytes long, and start with FF until position 0x55.
The next 4 bytes are your ESN in hex (and in little endian).
My question is if the contents of this file every change for anyone over
time, such as if you roam.
The new synchronization code needs to generate a unique id for each phone.
I am currently checksumming the whole file. That obviously depends on the
file contents never changing :-)
So what are the plans on the sync code. The code to go through the outlook
entries seems pretty straight forward (saw it from another code base)
http://shopping.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-09-30 01:43:00 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
So what are the plans on the sync code.
I am in the final stages of moving over the VX4400 code to the new description
format. The file that deals with the 4400 is less than half of what it used
to be.

I also made a new data format for the phonebook. The way it works is this:

- Every entry has various major parts (eg phonenumbers, names, wallpapers)

- Every one of those is an ordered list.

- When writing out to the phone, it takes from the top of the list (eg
if you have seven phone numbers listed, and the phone only supports
3 then it takes the top 3).

Here is a sample entry:

{
'categories': [{'category': 'School'}],
'emails': [{'email': '***@one.com'}, {'email': '***@two.com'}, {'email': '***@3.com'}],
'flags': [{'secret': False}],
'memos': [{'memo': 'fdgdfgfdgfd'}],
'names': [{'full': 'The full name'}],
'numbers': [{'type': 'home', 'number': '1324324'}, {'type': 'home2', 'number': '1324324'}, {'type': 'office', 'number': '1324324'}],
'ringtones': [{'use': 'call', 'ringtone': 0}, {'use': 'message', 'ringtone': 17}],
'serials': [{'serial2': 237, 'serial1': 237, 'sourcetype': 'lgvx4400', 'sourceuniqueid': 'f326e2de9f3cb19a2b3c'}],
'urls': [{'url': 'www.example.com'}],
'wallpapers': [{'use': 'call', 'wallpaper': 0}],
}

I want to also finish up the TM520/VX10 code with feedback from you and Scott.
Check out the protocol traces in the examples directory. I also have one
in there for updating a 4400 phonebook. I think the algorithm for updating
the 520/10 is going to be the same.

You and Scott also need to investigate the phonebook 0x00 and 0x07 commands.
On the 4400, 0x00 makes the screen say 'PC Sync' and 0x07 reboots the phone.
If you ever send the 0x00 command, you have to reboot the phone when done.
If you don't send any data for a minute or so, it self reboots!

Needless to say I worked out how to sync without sending those commands :-)
[It doesn't help that the 4400 takes so long to reboot either]

The sync plans are pretty much as outlined in:

https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6059513

I don't know if the other Alan has put anything down yet on it.
Post by Alan Gonzalez
The code to go through the outlook
entries seems pretty straight forward (saw it from another code base)
Never underestimate Outlook!

You can certainly do the basics with the COM support in Python. I also investigated
the Windows Address Book (also used in Outlook Express). The latter is going to
require a DLL which someone else did volunteer to write if they get time before I
do.

Roger
Alan Gonzalez
2003-09-30 02:36:40 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
So what are the plans on the sync code.
I am in the final stages of moving over the VX4400 code to the new
description
format. The file that deals with the 4400 is less than half of what it used
to be.
Ok is that why current cvs is currently acting strange? When I load up bitpim,
i now get an error about groupdict not being defined. This was in
populatefromfs. I don't have anything in the fs yet :) Also to mention it, my
phone doesn't support grouping. Yes it's a bad phonebook, not to mention the
calendar, which is very basic. So i commented out all the groupdict lines.
Now it loads but I get no tabs?
Post by Roger Binns
[...]
yah.
Post by Roger Binns
Check out the protocol traces in the examples directory. I also have one
in there for updating a 4400 phonebook. I think the algorithm for updating
the 520/10 is going to be the same.
probably.
Post by Roger Binns
You and Scott also need to investigate the phonebook 0x00 and 0x07 commands.
On the 4400, 0x00 makes the screen say 'PC Sync' and 0x07 reboots the phone.
If you ever send the 0x00 command, you have to reboot the phone when done.
If you don't send any data for a minute or so, it self reboots!
ok, will try to investigate, but my current cvs dir (fresh dir, though i backed
up my older cvs dir before updating ) doesn't show any tab views like before,
so i'll continue to use my old dir.
http://shopping.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2003-09-30 03:47:11 UTC
Post by Alan Gonzalez
Ok is that why current cvs is currently acting strange?
Anonymous CVS access was being done from a server 24 hours behind (if not more)
and SourceForge were busy migrating everything to new beefy servers. See the
entry for 2003-9-19.

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1#cvs
Post by Alan Gonzalez
When I load up bitpim,
i now get an error about groupdict not being defined.
Add self.groupdict={} to the __init__ method. The code mentioning it
is still there just as a legacy of the old stuff. I have corrected
this now, but anonymous CVS will be behind.
Post by Alan Gonzalez
Also to mention it, my phone doesn't support grouping.
That won't matter.
Post by Alan Gonzalez
Post by Roger Binns
- When writing out to the phone, it takes from the top of the list (eg
if you have seven phone numbers listed, and the phone only supports
3 then it takes the top 3).
It will just end up taking the top zero entries from categories (aka groups).
Post by Alan Gonzalez
doesn't show any tab views like before
You should still get tabs for everything. The phonebook is now just a
text widget though.

Roger
Tom Tracey
2003-09-30 13:21:40 UTC
Roger,
I'd be glad to check, as I'm on the road right now, but - I left my
cable at home. I assume there is no way to read this data from the phone
menus?
Are you thinking that it rebuilds itself to the original when returning
home?

Thanks!

Tom...

2003-09-30 15:46:16 UTC
Post by Tom Tracey
Are you thinking that it rebuilds itself to the original when returning
home?
Yup, you need a cable.

I am pretty sure the actual ESN in the file doesn't change. My most intelligent
guess is that the rest of it doesn't change but someone else was of the
opinion that it may, and there is no evidence either way.

Maybe I will just stop being so paranoid and only checksum the ESN 4 bytes.