[BitPim-devel] phonebook error messages
Simon C
2006-01-02 17:36:09 UTC
I've added a function to the phonebook helper to allow it to display a list
of error message.

You can use it from any Phone classes "convertphonebooktophone" function.

Example from the vx4400:

helper.add_error_message("%s has number %s if of
type %s not supported by phone" %

(e['name'], num['number'],
num['type']))

The function also optionally takes a priority field that allows you to
control the order they get displayed in. If it is not supplied the messages
are displayed in the order they are added. There is a new helper class
(MultiMessageBox) in guihelper that is used for this, it could be used in
other places as well.

Attached is an example of the dialog that will get displayed if one or more
entries in the phonebook is not able to be sent to the 8100.

Comments?

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-01-02 19:20:34 UTC
I’ve added a function to the phonebook helper to allow it to display
a list of error message.
I think it's a good idea and you're on the right path, but as Roger previously suggested, we'd need to plan for all log/error messages with different levels of priority/visibility rather than just phonebook error messages.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Roger Binns
2006-01-02 19:26:07 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
just phonebook error messages.
Also the items listed in the sample aren't technically errors.
The real underlying issue is that the quality of the information
being written to the phone is lower than that stored in BitPim
for some entries.

Roger
Simon C
2006-01-02 20:28:56 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
I've added a function to the phonebook helper to allow it to display
a list of error message.
I think it's a good idea and you're on the right path, but as Roger
previously suggested, we'd need to plan for all log/error messages with
different levels of priority/visibility rather than just phonebook error
messages.
The class that handles throwing up the dialog does take a priority option
for each message, but I agree there is a more fundamental issue with
logging.
In this case it is not really a log (as nothing is written to the log) it is
more of a "hey user, some contacts did not make it to the phone".
The current logging is mainly targeted at helping us as developers find
problems in BP rather than helping the user self diagnose, maybe we need to
create a new log (filter) that is specifically aimed at the user and appears
in a separate window.
It would not be too hard to move the logging into the send/get data function
in the gui, this way all data moving operating could provide user level
logging.
What do you think of the idea of
1) adding a new user log tab for import/export of data
2) having a filter on the existing window that allows users to disable
internal logging.

Simon