[BitPim-devel] Media view
Simon C
2006-05-01 16:57:58 UTC
I've checked in the main gui portion of the changes for displaying media
into the "skyjunky" branch.and I'm looking for feedback.
It mostly has the same functionality as before with the new look and feel.

The remaining list of things to do before I merge back into the main branch
are:
Put the media in the database (including auotmatic conversion from old
storage into new for existing users).
Add config option to bypass image preview window.
Skip image preview if image dimensions are already OK.
Add option to move media from one origin to another.
Add phone profile query for origins so full origin list is displayed
Add some stats to media widget.

Simon
jw
2006-05-01 17:20:13 UTC
Does anyone have official documentation of the
commands? I'm trying to send an SMS to my sch-a630
phone however the commands fail with error. Does
anyone know how to obtain them from Samsung per chance
(literature number, whitepaper, etc...)?

http://mail.yahoo.com
Roger Binns
2006-05-02 05:20:34 UTC
Post by Simon C
I've checked in the main gui portion of the changes for displaying media
into the "skyjunky" branch.and I'm looking for feedback.
It mostly has the same functionality as before with the new look and feel.
It is showing a camera node when the VX7000 is selected, but the
phone doesn't have such an origin.
Post by Simon C
1: Add config option to bypass image preview window.
2: Skip image preview if image dimensions are already OK.
I really don't believe #1 is needed is #2 is implemented. The less
complexity and options, the better.

Roger
Simon C
2006-05-02 08:47:21 UTC
Post by Simon C
1: Add config option to bypass image preview window.
2: Skip image preview if image dimensions are already OK.
I really don't believe #1 is needed is #2 is implemented.
The less complexity and options, the better.
I'll go with this for now, if users are still confused we can figure out
what to do later.

I've gotten the ringers and wallpaper in the database, with a new record
type for media which includes a field for the binary data. I get an 'ascii'
codec error when writing this to the database, it looks like the data is
being treated as a string.
Is there a way to put binary data in the database? for the time being I have
encoded the binary to base64 so that the database insertion works.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-05-02 15:41:13 UTC
Post by Simon C
Is there a way to put binary data in the database?
Yes, use the correct type - buffer. This will do the
trick:

cursor.execute("insert into foo values(?)", buffer("\x01\xff\x3e\x99"))

See also:

http://www.rogerbinns.com/apsw.html#Types

Roger
jw
2006-05-02 18:32:56 UTC
Where can I find out the format of an SMS as it is
stored on phones? For example, the various sms_0001,
sms_0002, etc. files.

http://mail.yahoo.com
Simon C
2006-05-02 18:45:24 UTC
Post by jw
stored on phones? For example, the various sms_0001,
sms_0002, etc. files.
Check out the bitpim sourcecode.
There are no specs. It changes from one phone to another.

Simon
jw
2006-05-02 22:16:50 UTC
Thank you for the reply Simon C.

So it's not a global standard? The code that
incorporates sms formats in BitPim...was that obtained
officially or just through reverse engineering?

All I'm trying to do is create an sms_0001 file with a
ringer, put it on the phone & see if the message shows
up, but I don't know the format (as I don't have text
messaging on my phone plan, so I have no reference).

Can anyone tell me how to correctly discover this
information on my own?
http://mail.yahoo.com
Simon C
2006-05-02 22:33:06 UTC
Post by jw
So it's not a global standard? The code that
incorporates sms formats in BitPim...was that obtained
officially or just through reverse engineering?
Reverse engineered

Post by jw
ringer, put it on the phone & see if the message shows
up, but I don't know the format (as I don't have text
messaging on my phone plan, so I have no reference).
I never figured out how binary attachments worked for SMS, bitpim only reads
the text parts of the messages.

Can anyone tell me how to correctly discover this
Post by jw
information on my own?
SMS messages stored on phones vary hugely in the way that they are stored
from one phone model to another and one carrier to another.
You would have to reverse engineer this yourself to figure it out.

You should also check out MMS, I think it is a less proprietary when it
comes to binary objects on the wire, you may probably face the same problem
wrt proprietary storage formats. I think the LG verizon phones use XML, this
will be easier to work with than the SMS binary format.

Simon
Simon C
2006-05-07 08:21:48 UTC
I've checked in the change to move the wallpaper/ringers into the database
in the skyjunky/new_ringers branch if you want to try it out/test it.
The code should convert from the old index schema, it will also delete the
old files so make a backup if you value the data.
You can also move from one origin to another and use the same filename in
different origins (send data only)

The database is storing the tansaction history of the media, this causes the
database to grow fast. Is there a way to turn this off for media?

I abandoned the idea of storing the thumbnail in the database, it took up
too much space with no perceptable performance improvement, things are
faster than before anyway with all the media data loaded into dicts in
memory.

The current way that the phones pass media data to the ringer/wallpaper
widget means that the origin cannot be identified and the filenames have to
be unique. Sending data to the phone does not have this limitation.
To fix, the format of the dict passed from the phone class to the widget
needs to changed so that the origin is included with the name. I'm going to
use the same dict format as is used for sending data to the phone, the phone
code will have to be changed to support this. The change will compatible
with the existing mechanism so phones can be modified as time allows.

The windows "copy" feature is broken because there are no files on the disk,
I do not intend to fix any time soon, the new export feature will make up
for this and work on more than just windows. There is also the "save"
feature which does work with the new scheme, two ways of getting access to
the data is probably enough.

Remaining items before I merge back in with the main trunk:
Skip image preview if image dimensions are already OK.
Add some stats to media widget.
Allow non-unique filenames for different origins (get phone data only).
Add media export for bulk copying of media to disk.
Add right click menus to media and origin nodes in tree.
Convert imported media filenames to unicode.
Fix mouse wheel scrolling in media views.

Simon