[BitPim-devel] Motorola phones
Roger Binns
2007-01-21 07:21:26 UTC
Well I just got me a new RAZR on T-Mobile which means a GSM phone.(*)

First observation is that the "Phone Info" menu item really shouldn't be
under the Edit menu since it isn't something you can edit. View is better.

The Motorola phone classes are a little bit of a mess. com_moto
inherits from GSM phone and adds in Brew gunk. I have some edits in my
tree that make seperate com_moto_gsm and com_moto_cdma which inherit
from com_moto and with the Brew gunk inherited into the latter.

As far as I can tell, I have done these edits right but cant check
without one of the Motorola CDMA phones. I'll do the commit at the
beginning of the next dev cycle.

(*) T-Mobile allegedly has the suckiest coverage but it is good enough
where I need it, and I no longer have to deal with the stupid
limitations from VZW. I can transfer wallpaper, ringtones and java apps
in either direction over Bluetooth. Heck I can even write my own java
apps. I still 28 days (California law) to cancel but it isn't looking
likely.

Roger
Chris Cleeland
2007-01-21 19:52:44 UTC
Well I just got me a new RAZR on T-Mobile which means a GSM phone.(*)
As far as I can tell, I have done these edits right but cant check
without one of the Motorola CDMA phones. I'll do the commit at the
beginning of the next dev cycle.
I, too, just got a RAZR, though it's on Sprint. Since I can sync it
using iSync, I've stopped using bitpim (after using it to pull all
the stuff off my SCP-8100). However, I'd be happy to check your
changes out against a CDMA version of the phone.

I probably wouldn't be able to get to it for a week or so, though.
Roger Binns
2007-01-21 20:02:10 UTC
Post by Chris Cleeland
I, too, just got a RAZR, though it's on Sprint. Since I can sync it
using iSync,
Incidentally just how well can you sync? I played with doing OBEX over
Bluetooth and the phone is really crap. For example contacts are
transferred using Vcards, but the phone doesn't follow the standard. It
chokes on the 'FN' field and has no understanding of categories. You
can't control things like speeddial. You can sort of do images, but
have no control of ringtones.

The AT command based control is better but needs to know the RAZR
specific dialect.
Post by Chris Cleeland
I've stopped using bitpim (after using it to pull all
the stuff off my SCP-8100). However, I'd be happy to check your
changes out against a CDMA version of the phone.
My code won't support CDMA razr's. In fact it was having to distinguish
between CDMA and GSM variants that led to the code reorganization :-)
The testing will need to be done with an existing Motorola CDMA phone
with the models being V710 to V3c IIRC.

Roger
Chris Cleeland
2007-01-21 20:11:15 UTC
Post by Chris Cleeland
I, too, just got a RAZR, though it's on Sprint. Since I can sync it
using iSync,
Incidentally just how well can you sync? I played with doing OBEX over
Bluetooth and the phone is really crap. For example contacts are
transferred using Vcards, but the phone doesn't follow the standard.
Well, I found a hacked-in plugin for isync and dropped it in, and
isync "just worked." I can also transfer ringtones and images back
and forth using OBEX bluetooth transfer just fine.
It
chokes on the 'FN' field and has no understanding of categories. You
can't control things like speeddial.
I don't know about the speeddial and FN stuff; I'll have to check.
It did things sufficiently for my purposes, although I'd anticipated
that the transfer from one phone to another would be "lossy".
The AT command based control is better but needs to know the RAZR
specific dialect.
I had no technical input on this one, so I don't know.
having to distinguish
between CDMA and GSM variants that led to the code reorganization :-)
Ahhh...okay.

Well, I'm not very motivated to do changes b/c, at least at this
point, I can do most everything I need to do using isync.
Joe Pham
2007-01-21 21:42:22 UTC
Well I just got me a new RAZR on T-Mobile which means a GSM phone.(*)
What? You're not going to wait for the much anticipated iPhone :-)
(the Apple's one, not the Cisco's)
Post by Roger Binns
I have done these edits right but cant check without one of the
Motorola CDMA phones. I'll do the commit at the beginning of the
next dev cycle.
I no longer have the V710, so I can't do any testing on it. It's up
to you, but I'd recommend committing your changes in for the upcoming
build.

Interested in getting caught up on today's news?
Click here to checkout USA TODAY Headlines.
http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?s=198954&u=http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm?csp=24
Roger Binns
2007-01-21 22:10:49 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Roger Binns
Well I just got me a new RAZR on T-Mobile which means a GSM phone.(*)
What? You're not going to wait for the much anticipated iPhone :-)
(the Apple's one, not the Cisco's)
I don't actually use my phone much. On average I do about 30 peak
minutes per month! With tmobile you get this myfaves thing which lets
you set 5 numbers and all incoming and outgoing calls to/from those
numbers are unlimited/free. I still have 3 slots open :-)

And I definitely don't want a phone that isn't a flip. I keep my phone
inside my pocket. I've also learned my lesson and stay away from Apple
stuff. Additionally the iPhone is going to work out at $2000 a year
once you take into account the phone cost and the plan cost, and you get
stuck with Cingular.

For $6 per month I get unlimited web and email data (ie no ssh) but can
easily live with that. That includes apps on the phone as well as tethered.
Post by Joe Pham
I no longer have the V710, so I can't do any testing on it.
I can manually set BitPim to V710 which ensures the code is run, but it
fails the moment anything Brew happens. The GSM motos do have a very
funky filesystem mode. You switch the phone into it and then it shows
up as a new USB composite device with a different PID!
Post by Joe Pham
It's up
to you, but I'd recommend committing your changes in for the upcoming
build.
I'll commit them shortly. The V3 code isn't ready by a long shot. I am
still trying to work out how it is different from the CDMA models. I
won't be able to do a build till next Saturday at the earliest due to
travel.

I think it is also worthwhile renaming com_gsm to com_etsi since it
really is about the command set which is an ETSI standard that most GSM
phones happen to use as well as CDMA Motorolas.

2007-01-21 22:55:22 UTC
I won't be able to do a build till next Saturday at the earliest due
to travel.
That'd be fine. That'd also give me some more time to work on the
virtual table thing.
I think it is also worthwhile renaming com_gsm to com_etsi since it
really is about the command set which is an ETSI standard that most
GSM phones happen to use as well as CDMA Motorolas.
I agree. Since you're working on the V3, can you also take on this?

Roger Binns
2007-01-22 03:16:43 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I won't be able to do a build till next Saturday at the earliest due
to travel.
That'd be fine. That'd also give me some more time to work on the
virtual table thing.
What is your design/plan so far?
Post by Joe Pham
I think it is also worthwhile renaming com_gsm to com_etsi since it
really is about the command set which is an ETSI standard that most
GSM phones happen to use as well as CDMA Motorolas.
I agree. Since you're working on the V3, can you also take on this?
Committed.