[BitPim-devel] LGVX9800 Support Update
Joe Pham
2005-11-01 05:23:51 UTC
The LGVX9800 is now fully supported. Some notes on the implementation:

1. LG appears to lock out the 'nvm' subdir, or at least make it more difficult to access it.

2. BitPim monthly recurrent events may be improved to match the same feature of the VX8100 & VX9800.

3. I'd like to add support to the 'My Sound' & 'My mp3' features of the VX9800, including the capability to assign sound & mp3 media files as ringtones.

Revolutionize the way you surf the Web!
Try NetZero HiSpeed 3G.
Visit http://www.netzero.com to sign up today!
Simon C
2005-11-01 14:47:52 UTC
Joe,

What do you think about adding a "friendly" error message for the nvm
directly access issue, maybe a popup window explaining the problem, the
unhandled exception is a little confusing for users.

Simon
Roger Binns
2005-11-02 05:25:14 UTC
the unhandled exception is a little confusing for users.
One of the criteria I was using for a 1.0 release is that
there are no exceptions given to users. They should only
happen when something exceptional happens and the code
fixed to address the underlying issue.

You can make exceptions friendly. Look at the
function HandleException (line 1450 gui.py). It tries to
make a specific dialog and corresponding helpid for an
exception, and only if that fails do you get the generic
exception dialog.

2005-11-01 19:20:29 UTC
Post by Simon C
What do you think about adding a "friendly" error message for the
nvm directly access issue
I think it's a good idea. We have 2 options: (A) silently handle the exception and display nothing, or (B) display an error message. Since there's nothing users can do in this case, I vote for (A).

Simon C
2005-11-01 21:39:51 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
I think it's a good idea. We have 2 options: (A)
silently handle the exception and display nothing,
or (B) display an error message. Since there's
nothing users can do in this case, I vote for (A).
(A) is good, a message in the log should satisfy
anyone who is curious and examination of the protocol
log will reveal all the gory details.