[Bitpim-devel] Build
Roger Binns
2004-04-26 05:35:04 UTC
Please make sure all help changes are committed by 1pm PST Monday.
I hope to do the build sometime on Monday evening.

Steven,

Please add an extra clickable application that runs "bitpim bitfling"
and name it BitFling. Don't worry about icons etc to. On Linux I
will be making a wrapper shell script that does that. On Windows
just a duplicate of the BitPim icon with more command line args
supplied.

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-04-26 17:31:08 UTC
Please make sure all help changes are committed by 1pm PST Monday.
I hope to do the build sometime on Monday evening.
I will plan on the same schedule for the Mac builds.
Post by Roger Binns
Please add an extra clickable application that runs "bitpim bitfling"
and name it BitFling. Don't worry about icons etc to. On Linux I
will be making a wrapper shell script that does that. On Windows just
a duplicate of the BitPim icon with more command line args supplied.
This may be a bit more difficult on the Mac... Not sure. The whole
"bundle" that makes it possible to launch a Macintosh application with
the embedded libraries/etc requires that all the parts be in that
bundle... So the bitfling bundle would have to embed these all a second
time. Bad. Also, since you have no guarantee where they have placed the
two in relation to each other, I can't think of a way to have a
"bitfling" application bundle call items from the "bitpim" bundle. I'll
give this some more thought.

There is no way to run bitfling from within bitpim via a menu or
something? Just asking. ;-)
Roger Binns
2004-04-26 18:38:04 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
two in relation to each other, I can't think of a way to have a
"bitfling" application bundle call items from the "bitpim" bundle. I'll
give this some more thought.
Can't you add a shell script that looks like this and put it in
the same directory of the bundle as the BitPim app object.

---------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

dn=`dirname "$0"`
exec "$dn/bitpim" bitfling
---------------------------------

For the moment it doesn't have to have an icon etc. It just needs
to be possible to start it in some way, even if that means using
a console.
Post by Steven Palm
There is no way to run bitfling from within bitpim via a menu or
something? Just asking. ;-)
It doesn't make sense. The intention is for it to sit in your tray
and have no other user interface (unless you click on it). Consequently
it needs to be started seperately and be possible to start automatically.

Roger
Steven Palm
2004-04-27 01:44:44 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
two in relation to each other, I can't think of a way to have a
"bitfling" application bundle call items from the "bitpim" bundle. I'll
give this some more thought.
Can't you add a shell script that looks like this and put it in the
same directory of the bundle as the BitPim app object.
The user has no way to call this. A "bundle" is a self-contained
object to the MacOS Finder (although it's just a directory). In the
bundle is a file "Info.plist" that tells the Finder what to launch when
the bundle is "launched". There is no way to have two items in the
bundle that would get launched.
For the moment it doesn't have to have an icon etc. It just needs to
be possible to start it in some way, even if that means using a
console.
If we are foregoing the need for a "clickable" launcher, then I can
come up with some instructions on how to do it for the end-user through
the command line. Another alternative (ugly) is to require the user to
put a clickable "bitfling" application bundle in the same directory as
the "BitPim" bundle, and require that BitPim be named BitPim... Then
the exec call in the shell script in the BitFling bundle could use
relative directory paths to get into the resources of the BitPim
bundle, possibly even using symlinks if needed to make it's bundle look
"populated" with the right items.

Getting a "clickable" bundle in the MacOS X Finder is a real PITA. :-)
Roger Binns
2004-04-27 02:11:56 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
The user has no way to call this. A "bundle" is a self-contained
object to the MacOS Finder (although it's just a directory). In the
bundle is a file "Info.plist" that tells the Finder what to launch when
the bundle is "launched". There is no way to have two items in the
bundle that would get launched.
That is bizarre. What happens when you have a suite like Office,
OpenOffice or Mozilla where there are multiple executables?
Post by Steven Palm
If we are foregoing the need for a "clickable" launcher, then I can
come up with some instructions on how to do it for the end-user through
the command line.
For this release go with simplicity. BitFling is still somewhat rough
and the likely usage scenario is a developer running BitPim getting
someone with a particular phone running BitFling and walking them
through talking to each other.
Post by Steven Palm
Getting a "clickable" bundle in the MacOS X Finder is a real PITA. :-)
Apparently. It could be worse. You could have Windows' Program
menu where apps install two things in a group. One runs the application
and the other uninstalls it. Given how often the latter is actually
used, and the consequences of clicking on it by accident, I have
yet to see the point.

I am just trying to fix one more minor issue and then everything should
be read for the build. (The tickbox for {en,dis}abling BitFling isn't
having much effect).

Roger

Peter Dufault
2004-04-26 18:40:53 UTC
Post by Steven Palm
This may be a bit more difficult on the Mac... Not sure. The whole
"bundle" that makes it possible to launch a Macintosh application with
the embedded libraries/etc requires that all the parts be in that
bundle... So the bitfling bundle would have to embed these all a
second time. Bad. Also, since you have no guarantee where they have
placed the two in relation to each other, I can't think of a way to
have a "bitfling" application bundle call items from the "bitpim"
bundle. I'll give this some more thought.
What about using applescript? I mostly use the Mac as a unix system so
I might be off base as to what you're up to.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.