[Bitpim-devel] brew only? or more?
Justin Mitchell
2004-02-20 20:20:09 UTC
Does Bitpim only support Brew devices, or do it's capabilites extend
beyond that? I noticed that the scripts for each of the currently
supported phones references com_brew, although I didn't realize the
Sanyos supported Brew.... Anyways, just curious... thinking about adding
support for some Samsung phones.

Justin
Roger Binns
2004-02-20 22:25:18 UTC
Post by Justin Mitchell
Does Bitpim only support Brew devices, or do it's capabilites extend
beyond that?
It supports whatever phones people have written modules for. There
is no inherent hard coding of any type of phone. It just so happens
that all the people who have added phone support have been in the
US which primarily has phones based on Qualcomm CDMA, and hence use
the "brew" protocol for accessing the embedded filesystem.
Post by Justin Mitchell
I noticed that the scripts for each of the currently
supported phones references com_brew, although I didn't realize the
Sanyos supported Brew....
"Brew" is probably a bad choice for a name. Brew specifically refers
to the programming environment in the phone, and all Qualcomm chipsets
support the same filesystem protocol in order to upload the programs.
Even when the phone doesn't support Brew, the filesystem protocol is
typically present. I can't really think of a better name.
Post by Justin Mitchell
Anyways, just curious... thinking about adding
support for some Samsung phones.
Go for it. There is some documentation in web/phonespec.html. It
certainly needs more parts filling out, and I welcome patches to
the doc :-)