[Bitpim-devel] Rock on!! and plans for the 8100
Rob Emanuele
2004-01-23 21:50:32 UTC
Dudes,

You guys rock.... As the only open source program I know of for the Sanyo 8100 I am quite happy to have found you.

After playing with the program for a bit I left wondering a few things:

Are the camera pictures and wallpaper buried in the /nvm in the file system? I've seen some "Notifications" there but nothing that hits me over head as a picture. Are apps also hidden there?

One project I've been beating on for quite a long time is hooking my phone to a linux based pbx and using it as a trunk line. I can make the phone dial and answer vioce calls via the virtual serial interface, I just cannot tell when one is incomming. Do you guys have any idea on that?

After uploading phonebook data does it always reboot the phone?

Thanks and trey cool,

Rob
Roger Binns
2004-01-23 22:20:17 UTC
Stephen will answer your questions in detail as he is the Sanyo guy.
Post by Rob Emanuele
Are the camera pictures and wallpaper buried in the /nvm in the file system?
The easiest way to answer that question is to make a complete filesystem
backup, take a picture, then do another backup and compare the results.
Same story for apps.
Post by Rob Emanuele
I just cannot tell when one is incomming.
In my experience you can only do that with data calls. Maybe a robot arm
to push the talk button and a webcam examining the screen :-)
Post by Rob Emanuele
After uploading phonebook data does it always reboot the phone?
I believe the Sanyo code offlines the phone. I don't know of anyway to
online it again without a reboot. (The LG phones auto-reboot after
no activity for a minute when in sync mode).

Roger
Stephen Wood
2004-01-24 02:13:59 UTC
Rob Emanuele
2004-01-24 07:26:46 UTC
If you are willing to help, without any quick payoff in actual working
media transfer software, and are able to get the CVS version of BitPim
running, I could use some help testing the protocol on an 8100.
easy, windows or linux?
Yes. I believe that it is required. Also on the 4900 it displays a
rather scary message
when
uploading the phonebook. That's a good enough reason for me to
reboot.
That link may be dead but on the 8100 I also get a very scary message
about having to contact Sprint.

Any thoughts about my question for detecting an incomming call?

Thanks,

Rob
Roger Binns
2004-01-24 07:45:37 UTC
Post by Rob Emanuele
easy, windows or linux?
You can work from the CVS tree on Windows, Linux and Mac. There
isn't really any difference in the code. About the only reason
to pick Linux and Mac over Windows is if you want to work at
the direct USB level since the Windows libusb is still a bit
flaky.

http://bitpim.sourceforge.net/testhelp/sanyo4900-scarymessage.jpg
Post by Rob Emanuele
That link may be dead but on the 8100 I also get a very scary message
about having to contact Sprint.
The link works for me, and has the message you describe.