[BitPim-devel] Want to help with LG Cosmos
Runner Dev
2010-05-23 22:35:18 UTC

I've used BitPim for several years with my LG VX8300. I recently bought an
LG Comsos that does not appear to be compatible with BitPim. I've searched
around and I couldn't find any information about work on this phone model.
I'm interested in helping to contribute to make this phone work and am
looking for pointers on getting starting with the contribution process. My
development experience is mainly with client-side Java (14 years). I've
installed all of the components described on the BitPim developer page, as
well as the Pydev.

Thanks,
-Ryan
hjelmn
2010-05-24 16:29:29 UTC
To get started follow this link: http://www.bitpim.org/developer.html

Once the development environment is set up I recommend taking a look at com_lgvx11000.py and p_lgvx11000.p . You will probably want to subclass com_lgvx11000. If you need any help let me know.

Also, I am working on Accolade support which, in all likelihood, is similar to the Cosmos (same generation phone). I will let you know when that is complete.

-Nathan

Hi,

Seth Randall
2010-05-26 01:47:50 UTC
Nathan,
I've attached some preliminary support for the Accolade (VX5600) that I
was able to use for my address book. I haven't gotten SMS working yet
though.

I haven't had time to work on it, but I figure I might as well make it
available for someone else to look at.
-Nathan
Ryan
2010-05-27 01:44:07 UTC
Thanks for the info. I almost have the environment setup. I'm able to run
from Eclipse, however, there are some errors that are showing up in the
editor. I'm guessing something wasn't installed correctly.

I've never developed for phones before. I was wondering if there is any
architectural docs to look at, or is the code it the best bet? I looked
over the lgvx1100 files last night.

Thanks,
-Ryan
Ryan
2010-05-27 05:11:51 UTC
I think I answered my own question (at least partially). I'm going over the
docs in dev-doc right now. I'll follow up if I have any further questions
after digging in a little more.

-Ryan