[Bitpim-devel] Re: [Bitpim-user] A question for LG users
Chris Poon
2004-05-07 16:00:44 UTC
I know that on the TM520, the phone will automatically reboot on any changes
to the phonebook, so I think it should a model-specific thing - I certainly
wouldn't like to see the phone being rebooted twice, once by itself and once
by BitPim. Maybe something in the Profile class that defines whether BitPim
should reboot on certain changes?
Roger Binns
2004-05-07 18:18:20 UTC
Post by Chris Poon
I know that on the TM520, the phone will automatically reboot on any changes
to the phonebook, so I think it should a model-specific thing - I certainly
wouldn't like to see the phone being rebooted twice, once by itself and once
by BitPim. Maybe something in the Profile class that defines whether BitPim
should reboot on certain changes?
No need to panic. I am referring to the VX4400/4500/4600/6000.

The "official" protocol for the LG phones require putting it into a sync
mode to read or write the phonebook. After reading/writing the phonebook,
sending an end sync command will cause a reboot. If you don't send anything
for a minute they self reboot. You will see this behaviour if you use
other software such as DataPilot.

I did some experiments and figured out that you do not need to enter sync
mode for the 4400 onwards, so BitPim doesn't do so. However in the circumstance
of the groups changing, the phone does need to be rebooted for them to
take effect. The doc does say to do this manually, but I decided that I
just want the right thing to happen. The common code shared by all
those models will ensure the right thing happens.

For the LG TM520/VX10, you do have to send the begin sync command, which
means you have to send an end sync. That code is part of what you maintain
for that phone.