[Bitpim-devel] BitPim + MultiSync
Jesse Lovelace
2004-01-28 00:49:29 UTC
Hi, I'm really interested in using bitpim to write a multisync
(multisync.sf.net) plugin. Has any thought been given to this? Any
suggestions on were would be a good place to start?

Thanks!

jesse
--
Jesse Lovelace
NCSU Mathematics & Computer Science
»|||||||++|**½¼¡«*¿ºªÑñ+++----++++++++_||aßGpSsµtFTOd8fen=
Roger Binns
2004-01-29 00:52:04 UTC
Post by Jesse Lovelace
Hi, I'm really interested in using bitpim to write a multisync
(multisync.sf.net) plugin. Has any thought been given to this? Any
suggestions on were would be a good place to start?
I did originally look at multisync before starting BitPim. However
I immediately ruled it out as it was very Linux specific (and didn't
look like it would address filesystems, calendar, ringtones etc).

BitPim was designed (if you can call it that :-) to work both in
command line and gui mode (See bp.py).

I would recommend starting out by getting bitpim to dump out the
contents of your phonebook commandline style. Here is how you go
about it:

- edit bp.py and recognise a command line option that says you
want to do command line stuff (ie not gui) and calls out
into a new file (eg commandline.py)

- in commandline.py parse the user preferences (in ~/.bitpim)
The only lines you will need are lgvx4400port (note it is always
named that even if you pick a different phone model) and
phonetype

- You will need to create a framework class that has various logging
methods and other stuff as you will discover

- Instantiate a commport object using the name you read in earlier

- Instantiate a phone object mapping the name type to the right class

- Call the read phonebook method in the phone object

- Dump out the read phonebook in a format of your chosing

In multisync, write a plugin that invokes bitpim --commandline and
feeds back in the output from that.

Once you have that working, you can work on writing back out which is a
similar process.

The users will need to run the gui version of bitpim to do configuration
(like phone model and port settings), but that is probably the best
place to do that stuff anyway.