[BitPim-devel] Voyager/Venus calendar patch
Nathan Hjelm
2007-11-29 08:04:05 UTC
Changes:
- Pad schedule.dat to 41402 bytes on the Venus/Voyager to ensure
proper parsing of the file by the phone.
- Write correct firmware version/ESN in the serial number field of
calendar entries.

Joe, this patch modified com_lgvx8100.py to avoid needing to duplicate
the calendar code. I have tested the changes with the VX-8600 and
VX-8550 settings and the changes do not appear to break anything with
other phones.
Joe Pham
2007-11-30 03:37:39 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
- Write correct firmware version/ESN in the serial number field of
calendar entries.
Did you determine the essential values of this field (ie, can some of them be 0x00 or 0xff or don't care. Also, I noticed the VX8550 has '0x000000ca-..' while the VX8800 has '0x000000cc-..', not sure if it makes any differences or not.

You may also need to deconflict between the 'ringpath' and 'serial_number' field.
Post by Nathan Hjelm
- Write correct firmware version/ESN in the serial number field of
calendar entries.
It appears that the VX8800 needs to have the full 300 entries. Can the empty entries have any values (don't care garbage), or need they have all 0xff? In any case, I'd suggest creating the empty entries/buffers in the protocol file instead.

Click to become a designer and quit your boring job.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijlSIPBu3BiDTtkT7u46twvYqmAVweoNLAo1fhmGbKYSx4pog/
Nathan Hjelm
2007-12-01 17:56:02 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Nathan Hjelm
- Write correct firmware version/ESN in the serial number field of
calendar entries.
Did you determine the essential values of this field (ie, can some of them be 0x00 or 0xff or don't care. Also, I noticed the VX8550 has '0x000000ca-..' while the VX8800 has '0x000000cc-..', not sure if it makes any differences or not.
The values in the serial number don't seem to make a difference. The only reason to set the serial number is to be consistent with the phone's software.
Post by Joe Pham
You may also need to deconflict between the 'ringpath' and 'serial_number' field.
I didn't realize there was a ringtone path. If it isn't fixed once the new calendar patch is ready I will fix that as well.
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Nathan Hjelm
- Write correct firmware version/ESN in the serial number field of
calendar entries.
It appears that the VX8800 needs to have the full 300 entries. Can the empty entries have any values (don't care garbage), or need they have all 0xff? In any case, I'd suggest creating the empty entries/buffers in the protocol file instead.
I don't think it matters what values schedule.dat is padded with as long as the file is exactly 41402 (works with both all 0's and with all 255's) bytes long (any shorter and the calendar doesn't show up correctly on the phone). I am not sure how to best pad the file using the protocol file. Is there a class for handling padding or should I write one?

-Nathan
Krans
2007-12-03 12:37:34 UTC
Hey guys, i've been using BitPim for the last year with the chocolate but i
just got a Venus. I downloaded your .tgz and unzipped it but where do i go
from here? i tried dropping the files in the phone folder but it didn't work

BitPim is a must have if i want to keep this phone but i'm just a little
lost, any help?
2007-12-01 19:01:34 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
The values in the serial number don't seem to make a difference. The
only reason to set the serial number is to be consistent with the
phone's software.
It they don't make any differences, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's your call, but I'd suggest using the 'ringpath' for the field name and set a different constant string for each model (kill 2 birds w/ 1 stone).
Post by Nathan Hjelm
I am not sure how to best pad the file using the protocol file. Is
there a class for handling padding or should I write one?
One way is to set the length of the schedulefile list to 300, and set the 'createdefault' key. This approach also requires that the elementclass (scheduleevent) object can be created with all default values. Then you don't have to worry about padding spaces in your com_ code.

Click for your daily horoscope, learn about money, love & family.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijlJ40TrkbN1pJD53DzPfaAeLbpSYRdJladLbhUMJrN80SURm/
Joe Pham
2007-12-03 23:34:59 UTC
Nathan, are you planning to submit a new patch for this?

Study law at a school near you. Click for more info.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijnaC1TG7gvdJXp2L1F4Zcv4B9sgeZOJPH1oTjN9HONUoxd7O/
Nathan Hjelm
2007-12-03 23:52:19 UTC
Yeah. I will submit the patch this evening.

-Nathan
from Novell.
Joe Pham
2007-12-04 01:04:56 UTC
I'll wait for it before doing the next test release.

Learn to trade futures online and make extra money. Click here to learn more!
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijleocnkwuiuHJ11Entvczx77Rl8g7FQvtctpW5KL1fkLVjAw/
Joe Pham
2007-12-04 22:57:44 UTC
but where do i go from here?
You'd be better off waiting for the next test release, which will include this set of patches.

Amazing online psychic readings & more.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijm46a6jAm9OClT5nPXr5JWaXEA9PxLP90jQcO05j5CSk2OlG/
Nathan Hjelm
2007-12-04 23:08:25 UTC
I am testing the patch and it will be ready soon. The calendar fix was
harder to implement than I thought.

-Nathan
from Novell.
Nathan Hjelm
2007-12-05 02:51:04 UTC
Here is the new patch.

Changes:
- Modified savecalendar in the vx8100 code support new calendar code
for VX-8550 and newer phones (VX-8100 code tested with a VX-8600)
- Added support for VX-8550/Voyager/Venus calender alerts (tested with
a Voyager).
- Updated Venus/Voyager code to reflect correct built-in ringtones
(tested with a Voyager).
- Fixed contact ringtones on the VX-8550/Venus/Voyager (tested with a
Voyager).

There was no way to avoid adding a the save/read calendar methods to
the VX-8550 class due to differences in how ringtone paths are stored.
The changes to the VX-8100 code are simply to reduce the amount of
duplicated code. So far the changes appears to work properly but they
may need to be tested on the VX-8550 and the VX-5400/VX-8350.

-Nathan
Joe Pham
2007-12-05 22:46:55 UTC
Post by Nathan Hjelm
Here is the new patch.
Committed.

Get educated. Click here for Adult Education programs.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2211/fc/Ioyw6ijmiXmrjbGR1ipY4bFnhbqmEbTqycCGCnqjxJi45vgQ6swkk8/