[BitPim-devel] Breaking up phone list in settings
Simon C
2006-03-11 18:48:09 UTC
We are getting close to 50 different phones being supported which makes it
harder to pick the phone in the settings.

Should we add a phone picker dialog to settings like we have for ports that
breaks the list into pieces by manufacturer and then by model.

I'm not planning to work on this.

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-03-11 20:41:03 UTC
Post by Simon C
Should we add a phone picker dialog to settings like we have for
ports that breaks the list into pieces by manufacturer and then by
model.
That's a good idea. I'll look into of possibly using a wizard for this.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Roger Binns
2006-03-11 21:47:28 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
That's a good idea. I'll look into of possibly using a wizard for this.
I'd suggest doing it something like the screenshot I have
attached. The columns are carrier, manufacturer and model
respectively.

The user can click on any item of the three columns in
any order and the other columns adjust. For example if they
first click LG in the middle column then only LG models
should be shown in the right column and only carriers
with supported LG phones would be shown in the left.
That way users can supply the information they know in
any order and the available choices narrow down as
appropriate.

(You'll also need to develop the UI a little further.
For example graying out entries in the carrier box
would be better than hiding them. Each column would
also need an 'any' selection that removes it as a
restriction.)

Roger
Simon C
2006-03-11 23:38:39 UTC
Post by Simon C
that breaks the list into pieces by manufacturer and then by model.
That's a good idea. I'll look into of possibly using a
wizard for this.
Perhaps something that could be used if autodetect failed as an alternative
to the settings dialog.
The phonemodels dict could be extended to include display name,
manufacturer, model, carriers (tuple), modulename.

Simon
Roger Binns
2006-03-12 00:03:26 UTC
Post by Simon C
The phonemodels dict could be extended to include display name,
manufacturer, model, carriers (tuple), modulename.
What would be really nice is a script that goes through all the
existing models and points out what is missing from the code.
For example if the above is added, it should point that out.
Same story for autodetect strings etc.