[BitPim-devel] Calendar Support for LG Phones
Joe Pham
2005-09-03 17:28:11 UTC
I've added Calendar support to the LG-VX4400, on which code most other LG phones are based. Specifically, the VX4400, 8100, and 4650 calendar feature should work out-of-the-box. I'm asking anyone who has access to the other LG phones and can run BitPim off source to test out the calendar feature on their phones (probably just Calendar read initially) and post the findings. The goal is to have complete calendar support in place for all LG phones in the next BitPim release.

Thanks,

NetZero Is Giving Away $3,000 A Day!
Sign up for NetZero HiSpeed 3G with Instant On!
Visit http://www.netzero.com/3Gsweeps TODAY for your chance to win!
Simon C
2005-09-03 19:41:45 UTC
Joe,

I ran a quick test on my 4400. There is one event in the phone's calender.
I got this error (attached). I have not tried to diagnose.
The line numbers in gui.py will not match up in this log, I have added some
code to my copy that will throw the line numbering off.

Simon
I've added Calendar support to the LG-VX4400, on which code
most other LG phones are based. Specifically, the VX4400,
8100, and 4650 calendar feature should work out-of-the-box.
I'm asking anyone who has access to the other LG phones and
can run BitPim off source to test out the calendar feature on
their phones (probably just Calendar read initially) and post
the findings. The goal is to have complete calendar support
in place for all LG phones in the next BitPim release.
Thanks,
September 19-22, 2005 * San Francisco, CA * Development
Lifecycle Practices
Agile & Plan-Driven Development * Managing Projects & Teams *
Testing & QA
Security * Process Improvement & Measurement *
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
2005-09-03 19:49:33 UTC
Post by Simon C
I got this error (attached).
I think I may have gotten the packet size incorrectly. Can you please verify the packet size for the 4400 (since I don't have access to one)?

Simon C
2005-09-04 00:36:31 UTC
Joe,

New protocol file attached. I can import and export the with this on my
phone (tried with 250 entries from outlook), I did a quick check of the
times and descriptions on the phone at it looks OK. Phone is happy with the
data written into it (i.e. does not crash). The desription needs to be null
terminated for this phone so I removed the exception blocker from the
description field so that it get written to the phone.

The calender type also needed to be changed to 3 in com_lgvx4400.py

max calender entries is 300 for the 4400. In answer to the question in the
protocol file.

Simon
2005-09-04 03:43:03 UTC
Post by Simon C
New protocol file attached.
Thanks for the update.
Post by Simon C
I did a quick check of the times and descriptions on the phone at it
looks OK.
Can you please do a quick check on repeat type, alarm #, and ringer type to make sure we got it right.
Post by Simon C
The calender type also needed to be changed to 3 in com_lgvx4400.py
That'd need to be done for all other LG phones. I'll make the changes & commit.

Simon C
2005-09-04 18:02:45 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Can you please do a quick check on repeat type, alarm #, and
ringer type to make sure we got it right.
Ringer looks OK, I tried a few and they all imported and exported correctly.

The alarm # is not working completely IMHO.
The 4400 only supports values of None, On Time, 5 mins, 10 mins, 1 hour, 1
day and 2 days and the code reflects this correctly.
If a value not in this range is set in bitpim the alarm on the phone gets
set to None, I think we should approximate to the closest legal value for
the phone rather than seting none, this way the alarm will sound as close to
the requested time as possible, I did this for the 8100.

Something is wrong with the repeat, it looks like the repeat type works ok,
but not the end date. I have an event that repeats daily for 4 days. On the
phone it shows it repeating for ever, there is another weekly repeating
event that shows repeating for ever, but is only supposed to repeat for 4
weeks.
I had a look at the code in com_lgvx4400.py, I don't think the end date is
being set correctly. The attached version sets the end date correctly (as
appears on the phone), it is a bit of a hack as I did not really understand
what the original code was trying to do but if you see what I did maybe you
can figure out a proper fix.
For events that go on forever the phone uses a date of 4095-12-31, we should
probably do the same.

I was also getting strange phone crashes, screen corruption after uploading
a calender, even with just one event in. Maybe we just need to reboot it
after an update (also using the same end date as mentioned above).

Simon
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-09-04 20:22:15 UTC
I decided to re-install the BitPim development environment on my Mac
this weekend, and unfortunately, have run into a snag. The last time
I did a full install of the development environment was last
November. I'm running 10.4.2 (Tiger). Last time I had the
development environment up and running I was still on 10.3.

Where is the module named hyperlink? It looks to be a recent
addition to wx, but even though I did a fresh install of wxPython
2.6.1.0, it seems to be missing.

Any clues?

Thanks,

John

aladdin:~/Documents/Dev/BitPimDev/bitpim osh$ python bp.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "bp.py", line 75, in ?
import gui
File "/Users/osh/Documents/Dev/BitPimDev/bitpim/gui.py", line 44,
in ?
import bpcalendar
File "/Users/osh/Documents/Dev/BitPimDev/bitpim/bpcalendar.py",
line 132, in ?
import today
File "/Users/osh/Documents/Dev/BitPimDev/bitpim/today.py", line
20, in ?
import wx.lib.hyperlink as hl
ImportError: No module named hyperlink
aladdin:~/Documents/Dev/BitPimDev/bitpim osh$
Simon C
2005-09-04 20:32:15 UTC
I installed the unicode windows version 2.6.0.1 and it is in the
Python23\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.6-msw-unicode\wx directory, I wonder if it
is missing from the mac version?
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-09-05 01:59:33 UTC
On my Mac, the files hyperlink.py, hyperlink.pyc, and hyperlink.pyo
are in the directory:

/Library/Python/2.3/wx-2.6-mac-unicode/wx/lib

Hmm...

John
2005-09-04 22:26:37 UTC
Post by Simon C
I think we should approximate to the closest legal value for
the phone rather than seting none, this way the alarm will sound as
close to the requested time as possible, I did this for the 8100.
Good suggestion. I'll take a look at what you have and may standardize that across all phones.
Post by Simon C
Something is wrong with the repeat, it looks like the repeat type
works ok, but not the end date.
That code was based on the 4650, which has no end dates for repeat events.
Post by Simon C
For events that go on forever the phone uses a date of 4095-12-31, we
should probably do the same.
It's different for the 4650, it should be defined in protocolclass.

Simon C
2005-09-04 22:49:51 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
Something is wrong with the repeat, it looks like the repeat type
works ok, but not the end date.
That code was based on the 4650, which has no end dates for
repeat events.
The 4400 does not allow the phone user to set the end date, all repeats go
on for ever if you add via the phone, but if you set the end date via bitpim
the phone's calender actually uses the value bitpim end date, do you think
that the 4650 has the same hidden feature? The end date is an absolute
value, it is not relative to the start, from looking at the code it appears
that it is being calculated as a relative value which is what the phone does
not like.

Simon
Simon C
2005-09-05 03:22:12 UTC
Joe,

I am looking at the 6100. It is essentially the same as the 4400 except is
allows the user to store a voice memo with each calender entry. Is it
possible to add support for this in the com_lgvx4400.py code so that we can
share common code for all the calenders?

Simon
http://www.sqe.com/bsce5sf
Joe Pham
2005-09-05 04:48:22 UTC
but if you set the end date via bitpim the phone's calender actually
uses the value bitpim end date
It certainly does. I updated the code to do so. Nice catch.
The end date is an absolute value, it is not relative to the start,
from looking at the code it appears that it is being calculated as a
relative value which is what the phone does not like.
The end date is indeed absolute, and the code treats it like so.

Joe Pham
2005-09-05 05:09:06 UTC
It is essentially the same as the 4400 except is allows the user to
store a voice memo with each calender entry.
The 4650 has that same feature. My suggestion is to add that feature in the 6100 code.

Roger Binns
2005-09-05 16:42:48 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
It is essentially the same as the 4400 except is allows the user to
store a voice memo with each calender entry.
The 4650 has that same feature. My suggestion is to add that feature in the 6100 code.
The 4500 also has the feature.

Roger
Simon C
2005-09-05 15:45:22 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
but if you set the end date via bitpim the phone's calender actually
uses the value bitpim end date
It certainly does. I updated the code to do so. Nice catch.
The update works OK on the 4400.

Does anyone know how to totally reset a 4400, mine has started to misbehave
after this calender testing and the display keeps on going bad. Removing the
battery does not help. I tried the reset in the security menu and that did
not help.

Simon
Roger Binns
2005-09-05 16:43:49 UTC
Post by Simon C
Does anyone know how to totally reset a 4400,
You can delete the files in the sch and pim directories and
then reboot.

Roger
Simon C
2005-09-06 06:48:56 UTC
Can we add this voice memo code to the 4400 code in such a way that all
derived phone classes can make use of it. Is it possible to add the voice
memo fields to the p_lgvs4400.p code as "P" fields of the PACKET so that the
fields are present but are not written/read from the phone? If this worked
the calender code could be shared between all the phones (except the 8100
which seems to be totally different).

Simon
2005-09-06 12:10:10 UTC
Post by Simon C
Can we add this voice memo code to the 4400 code in such a way that
all derived phone classes can make use of it.
Assuming the processing of the voice ID fields are identical, yes. Let me know if that's the case of the 6100.

Simon C
2005-09-07 03:21:31 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Assuming the processing of the voice ID fields are identical,
yes. Let me know if that's the case of the 6100.I think they are.
The 6100 (and 4500 by looking at the protocol file) have a field to indicate
if there is a voice memo and a field for the index of the memo itself.

2 UINT hasvoice "This event has an associated voice memo if 1"
2 UINT voiceindex "sch/schexxx.qcp is the voice memo (xxx =
voicindex - 0x0f)"

Simon
Joe Pham
2005-09-07 05:08:00 UTC
I updated to calendar code to include voice memo ID. I tested with the 4650 and it worked well. Please test it with other phones and post the results.

Simon C
2005-09-07 14:38:44 UTC
The 4400 did not work.

"cal_has_voice_id=True" needs to be removed from the p_vlgvx4400.p protocol
file as it does not support voice memos. It worked once I did this.

BTW using the 6100 calender causes an exception now, presumably because it
was using the 4400 class and now this code has all changed. I suspect that
the calender support on all the other lg phones that shared the 4400 code
will not work either and need to be fixed. I'll be able to do the 6100 in a
day or so.

Simon
2005-09-07 23:40:12 UTC
Post by Simon C
"cal_has_voice_id=True" needs to be removed from the p_vlgvx4400.p
protocol file
It should be either removed or set to False. It was a copy&paste error :-)
Post by Simon C
BTW using the 6100 calender causes an exception now,
Most likely because of my packet_size shortcut. I updated the code to work around it.

Thanks for testing it out.

Simon C
2005-09-08 15:44:44 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
BTW using the 6100 calender causes an exception now,
Most likely because of my packet_size shortcut. I updated
the code to work around it.
4400 works well with your changes, I tested with 200+ events with a variety
of alarms.

The changes helped, but did not solve all of the 6100 problems. The voice
memo fields were named differently and I have to add a + infront of some of
the unknown field names. The 4500 looks like it has a very similar packet
and will probably have the same problem, we will need to re-test all the
phones carefully for this new calender format.

I made changes to the 6100 to get it all to work, it never used to support
writing the calender (so this is an improvement), there were also a field
missing from the packet, I have tested reading and writing the calender and
the voice memo gets preserved now. I also fixed a bug that causes an
exception when the phone has no picture stored on it and you try to get the
wallpaper, just an exception handler for no file found. Can you commit these
changes for me, code attached with diffs.

thanks,

Simon