[BitPim-devel] Adding phones?
David Ritter
2007-04-13 00:45:29 UTC
I've been looking at the Bitpimdev-docs, and need some clarifications
or advise on adding Alltel LG phones. My interest is primarily in the
ax8600, but I have another two in mind.
The present LG support is primarily with Verizon phones, and Alltel
LG's seem to have at least filesystem differences. I haven't gone very
far in analysis of the differences yet.
Is it better in this case to continue the extensions to the Verizon LG
phone files, or to start some new base alltel classes and build from
there?
It would probably require access to more alltel LG's in order to start
some new base alltel classes.
Suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
Larry Meadors
2007-04-13 04:12:31 UTC
Hey Dave, I only have one of the LG phones (an AX245), and am in the
same boat - the existing LG phones don't seem to have much in common
with mine (except the name).

I have started to look at the data on the file system, and it doesn't
look terribly complex. If you want, we can compare structures and see
if mine is similar to yours.

Is there a bitpim wiki somewhere that can be used to collaborate on
this sort of stuff? I haven't seen any mention of one, so I'm thinking
there isn't one.

If not, I have a public one we could use (and an SVN repository, too
if you want to share files).

Larry
Stephen Wood
2007-04-13 13:03:36 UTC
Post by Larry Meadors
Is there a bitpim wiki somewhere that can be used to collaborate on
this sort of stuff? I haven't seen any mention of one, so I'm thinking
there isn't one.
I did toy around with a Wiki about a year ago. The idea was to replace the
BitPim web pages with the Wiki. We had the goal of doing the help with the
wiki, which would require scripts to copy the help from the Wiki into the
BitPim built-in help. I never got enough time to do that, so it
languished. Turning the Wiki into a developers Wiki would be a great idea.
The Wiki is setup so that you have to be logged in to edit, and only I can
create accounts. But I'll give an account to anyone who asks and I could
probably be easily convinced to give administrator Wiki accounts if that is
needed.

The Wiki is at http://www.bitpim.org/wiki. Right now the main page is
essentially a copy of the BitPim home page from about a year ago. That
should be replaced with something more developer oriented. I also tried to
make the Wiki look more like a website rather than a Wiki. But I have no
problem going back to the default MediaWiki look if that is preferred.

Stephen
Larry Meadors
2007-04-13 13:30:50 UTC
That's awesome, thanks!

There is some great info there - I'll take an account if you'll give
me one - I'd sure be willing to document stuff as I discover it (or as
I get explanations on the mailing list), so if you'll give me an
account, I'll use it as much as time permits.

As far as replacing the main site with it, we looked at doing that for
another project that I work on (Apache iBATIS), but the main site
didn't change much, and it never really 'felt' quite right - we ended
up using StaticMesh to generate the main site instead, then adding a
link to the wiki for more dynamic content.

As far as the look goes, I don't really have a strong opinion - if it
looks like mediawiki, I think more people will recognize it as a wiki,
and be able to sort of shift their mind set to adjust to it. Right
now, the layout looks sort of like a blog.

Larry

PS: In an earlier email today, I talked about not being able to find
another one similar to mine - in the 27 minutes since I got this
email, I have typed this reply, and found a reasonable match for my
phone using the info on the wiki. There are some great resources
there! :D
Stephen
Stephen Wood
2007-04-13 17:20:10 UTC
Send me a username and an initial password privately and I'll get it setup.

I'll revert the wiki to the MediaWiki default this weekend.

I'm curious what you found on the Wiki. I didn't think there was much
there, just some old copies of the BitPim website. (There are some links to
sections of the website that might not be otherwise easily findable.)

Stephen
2007-04-13 16:18:41 UTC
Post by David Ritter
Is it better in this case to continue the extensions to the Verizon
LG, phone files, or to start some new base alltel classes and build
from there?
That's entirely up to the developer and his/her assessment of the
similarities between the new phone and an existing one. In general
though, unless the new phone is a brand new model with a whole new
set of protocols, you can generally subcalss one of the existing
phone models (most, if not all, of the existing VZW LGs are
subclassed from the original VX4400). Obviously, it'd take more work
to start from scratch.

Interested in getting caught up on today's news?
Click here to checkout USA TODAY Headlines.
http://track.netzero.net/s/lc?s=198954&u=http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm?csp=24