[BitPim-devel] Adding support for LG PM-325
Ed leNoir
2005-01-16 07:32:12 UTC
I put a post in the users forum to see if anyone has tried this phone with BitPim, and I'm interested in trying to put in the customization myself.

I've been programming for 25 years and currently do MS dotNet and C++ and Java programming, but this would be my first attempt at Python. My hobbies include electronics, so I'm comfortable at hacking away at small devices. I never did J2ME or any other phone related programming.

I've read all of the threads on the recently added LG VX6100, so I'm thinking it will likely be similar in effort. I've read the dev notes and I think I understand the recommendations for adding a new phone.

I've download the BitPim source from the sourceforge CVS server and it looks like something I can do...or am I crazy? Talk me into this or out of it!!!

- Ed
Roger Binns
2005-01-16 07:50:31 UTC
Post by Ed leNoir
Talk me into this or out of it!!!
Talk is cheap. The open source world is about doing. Unless one of the developers
has the the phone, or you add the code then nothing will happen. J2ME and that
sort of thing is irrelevant. If you are comfortable reading hex dumps and looking
for patterns in them then the rest is easy.

Roger
Ed leNoir
2005-01-16 18:12:37 UTC
I've got the phone, and a cable should be here in a few days. Do you think
this is something someone with no experience in Python can do? Normally I
can learn a new language in just a few weeks, but is this a really bad way
to start?
Roger Binns
2005-01-16 18:52:41 UTC
Post by Ed leNoir
I've got the phone, and a cable should be here in a few days. Do you think
this is something someone with no experience in Python can do? Normally I
can learn a new language in just a few weeks, but is this a really bad way
to start?
There is no need to speculate it. Just try and see what happens.
Post by Ed leNoir
A small question on that - was the XMLRpc that you tried to be used with BitFling?
Yes. It is also used to talk to eGroupware.

1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
How hard will it be for me to get up to speed on the tools to pull the data
off the phone, and to be able to debug code?

By the way, I went over your presentation to the SF Bay area python group -
that actually put a lot of the code into a context of how it evolved and
what you were trying to accomplish. A small question on that - was the