[BitPim-devel] A new member on the list!
David Laganiere
2005-05-12 18:00:43 UTC
Hi!

I have a Nokia 3586i cell phone and it doesn't seem to work with
BitPim even just for filesystem view. I subscribed to this list
because I thought it could be a good idea to add support for my phone.
I don't wanna send the phone to anyone so I thought I could do it
myself. I actually know nothing about Python. I know about C/C++
though. I'm a person that likes to learn and I can read stuff and
figure out a lot on my own. I just need good pointers.

I'd like to know if anyone could point me in the good direction to
start and to figure out how I'm gonna be able to add support for my
phone, what tests I should do, etc. I have a DKU-5 cable which is
actually a USB cable that acts like a serial cable.

Any comments/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated to help me
start! I really think BitPim is a nice project.

Thank you!

David
Roger Binns
2005-05-13 06:22:49 UTC
Post by David Laganiere
I have a Nokia 3586i cell phone and it doesn't seem to work with
BitPim even just for filesystem view.
As far as I know, Nokia designed their own CDMA chips themselves
instead of using ones from Qualcomm like everyone else. Consequently
they are unlikely to use the Qualcomm diagnostics protocol :-) The
good news is that they are likely to use an AT command based
protocol very similar to GSM phones. You can use the Samsung
phones as an example of how to do AT based protocols. (I also
really need to get the GSM phone I was loaned working as well
so documenting how to do an AT command based phone as you go
along would be really useful ...)
Post by David Laganiere
I actually know nothing about Python. I know about C/C++
though.
There is plenty of code to look at and a dev-docs directory
with some documentation. The most useful skill is being able
to eyeball hexdumps, and use the analyser. If you use Windows,
you can record another program talking to your phone using
portmon and then view that in the BitPim analyser.

Additionally I recommend reading the archives for this list
as far back as you can as pretty much every question has
been asked in the past :-)