[BitPim-devel] Image Preview
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-03-28 04:29:25 UTC
Starting in BitPim 0.7.28, there is a feature that will automatically size
images.

On bitpim-user, a user had complained of fuzzy images. I've done a little
testing, and this is what I think they are seeing. How are the default crop
controls set?

In this Image Preview window you need to select the image origin (the
default 'images' is fine). You also need to select a target. Fullscreen
would be for the startup and shutdown images. The more typical selection is
wallpaper. Exact wallpaper dimensions in version .0.7.28 should be 128x148.

To the right of these selection is an image preview area with a cropping box
in the image. For some reason, the default position of this crop box is not
at the edges of the image, even though the image I'm importing is 128x148.
If you carefully move the crop controls to the corner, you can get the image
to be 128x148 without having bitPim automatically stretch it. If you don't
move the crop controls, you get a cropped image which is stretched to
128x148, thus the fuzzy image you are seeing.

Somewhere I read that images within 10% shouldn't get resized, so I'm
surprised this is causing a problem.

Any ideas?

I've attached what I see on the Mac OS X version of BitPim CVS.

Also, the word "Background" on the top left doesn't fit its box.

Thanks

John
John O'Shaughnessy
Roger Binns
2005-03-30 16:31:18 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
On bitpim-user, a user had complained of fuzzy images. I've done a little
testing, and this is what I think they are seeing. How are the default crop
controls set?
Around 10% in from each corner.
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
To the right of these selection is an image preview area with a cropping box
in the image. For some reason, the default position of this crop box is not
at the edges of the image, even though the image I'm importing is 128x148.
The code doesn't pay any attention to the image size. The crop box is always
the correct aspect ratio and the resulting image will always be the correct
size and will be magnified or shrunk as necessary.
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Somewhere I read that images within 10% shouldn't get resized, so I'm
surprised this is causing a problem.
That no longer applies. Before the resizing happened behind the scenes.
Now you get the dialog to do with what you want.

The first initial fix needed is to pay some attention to the image size
actually being correct. You can see the 10% in from each corner at
line 862 of wallpaper.py. Try changing the 0.1 to 0 and the 0.9 to 1.0
and see if you are happy.
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Also, the word "Background" on the top left doesn't fit its box.
That is something that misfunctions on Mac only. I haven't looked
into how to fix it.

Roger
John O'Shaughnessy
2005-03-31 16:54:47 UTC
Post by John O'Shaughnessy
Somewhere I read that images within 10% shouldn't get resized, so I'm
surprised this is causing a problem.
That no longer applies. Before the resizing happened behind the scenes.
Now you get the dialog to do with what you want.
The first initial fix needed is to pay some attention to the image size
actually being correct. You can see the 10% in from each corner at
line 862 of wallpaper.py. Try changing the 0.1 to 0 and the 0.9 to 1.0
and see if you are happy.
Thanks Roger -- I'll look into this this weekend.

John

--
John O'Shaughnessy