[Bitpim-devel] Result Status to Users: last call
d***@netzero.com
2004-11-12 03:16:43 UTC
Roger, Stephen,

wrt the subject concept and implementation, do you guys have a recommendation for the next build? I see this as a 2-part question:

1. Should we keep the implementation of collecting messages and displaying them to users? Users can elect to display or not display these messages from the get/send phone data dialog.

2. If we do, should we have some guidelines and/or recommendations of what to display or more importantly, not to display to users?

Personally, I find it useful to be able to display selected info/feedbacks to users.

Look for special offers on
NetZero Platinum & NetZero HiSpeed
Visit Best Buy, RadioShack or Kmart Today.
Roger Binns
2004-11-12 05:05:08 UTC
Post by d***@netzero.com
1. Should we keep the implementation of collecting messages and displaying
them to users? Users can elect to display or not display these messages
from the get/send phone data dialog.
I would rather that code is removed, and the helper stuff is fixed.
Post by d***@netzero.com
2. If we do, should we have some guidelines and/or recommendations of
what to display or more importantly, not to display to users?
Yes, only display stuff to users if BitPim has fundamentally failed the
user (eg been unable to talk to the phone) or if you have information
the user can do something about. Telling people that the 24 character
name has been truncated to 22 characters to fit their phone with a
22 character limit is of no value whatsoever. Similarly ignoring entries
that have absolutely no contact information (eg email or phone) isn't
something to tell the user - if they cared they would have put contact
information in.
Post by d***@netzero.com
Personally, I find it useful to be able to display selected
info/feedbacks to users.
As a developer this information is useful and important. As a user
it is of zero value.

Roger
d***@netzero.com