[BitPim-devel] Ringer directory
Simon C
2006-04-27 05:48:22 UTC
I'm looking at upgrading the ringer widget (and wallpapers).
I want to create a node on the tree for each source. The root would show a
summary of all the ringers, space used, number of files etc.
Possibly adding phone limits as well for reference, for instance the vx9800
locks up totally dead if you put more than 3MB of ringtones on it, requires
a visit to the store to fix. Also it would let the user manage the different
sources, add, remove and rename.

The 'default' group would go as the user would be able to add a ringtone to
a specific source node.
I also want to add the ability to move an item from one source to another.
On some phones sources have specific uses, the 8100/5200 do not let you use
"sounds" as ringtone, users are making recordings, manually copying the file
from the phone and adding it to the ringtone tab, it would be easier if they
could just right click and choose move to -> new source.
Eventually you will be able to drag and drop from one source to another.

One problem that exists today on phones with multiple ringer sources is that
if a file with the same name is in different sources things go wrong because
bitpim stores all the files in the same directory. I'd like to fix this by
creating sub-directories named after the source in the ringer storage. There
would be some issue with maintaining backwards compatability with existing
users (resolved by checking the new location followed by the old only if the
new did not contain the file).

Comments?

Simon

P.S. I'm going to develop this on a branch.
Roger Binns
2006-04-27 06:19:02 UTC
Post by Simon C
Possibly adding phone limits as well for reference,
That should be done as documentation.
Post by Simon C
for instance the vx9800
locks up totally dead if you put more than 3MB of ringtones on it,
The code that copies the ringtones to the phone should impose this
limit. For example the code that writes contacts to the phonebook
already limits to the phone's capacity.
Post by Simon C
requires a visit to the store to fix.
Wow, looks like LG wants to be the new Audiovox.
Post by Simon C
I also want to add the ability to move an item from one source to another.
That was intended to be added all along ...
Post by Simon C
One problem that exists today on phones with multiple ringer sources is that
if a file with the same name is in different sources things go wrong because
bitpim stores all the files in the same directory. I'd like to fix this by
creating sub-directories named after the source in the ringer storage.
There are two "correct" ways to fix this. One is to store the ringtones
in the database. That would allow multiple ones to have the same name
etc. The other is to use random file names on the host and reference
the filename from the database. In both cases there will be the
real filename as used on the phone presented to the user. That way
it is trivial to have multiple files with the same names in different
origins. They can even be different contents with the same name. eg
when my VX4400 is selected I could see sunset.jpg at 100x100 but with
a VX9800 selected there could be sunset.jpg at 200x200.

The only other time a host filename is visible is if it is opened in
an external app. The way most programs handle this is to create a
temporary copy in $TMPDIR and invoke the external app on that.

Roger
Simon C
2006-04-27 07:15:31 UTC
Post by Simon C
like to fix this by creating sub-directories named after
the source in the ringer storage.
There are two "correct" ways to fix this. One is to store
the ringtones in the database. That would allow multiple
ones to have the same name etc. The other is to use random
file names on the host and reference the filename from the
database. In both cases there will be the real filename as
used on the phone presented to the user. That way it is
trivial to have multiple files with the same names in
different origins.
Personally I prefer the database option and will go with this unless anyone
shouts.
This will result in only 2 bitpim files, settings/preferences and the
database. This will make adding a feature to load multiple phone databases
and/or switching databases much easier.
I think (windows) users have gotten used to being able to go to the
filesystem to copy the files, adding a file export feature to work on all
ringers/wallpaper (kind of like the export feature on other widgets) should
make up for this.

Simon
Joe Pham
2006-04-27 22:02:49 UTC
Post by Simon C
I want to create a node on the tree for each source.
How would the 'Organized by' function work in this case?
Post by Simon C
The code that copies the ringtones to the phone should impose this
limit.
Currently, we can specify a limit for an individual ringtone. Perhaps specifying an overall limit should also be considered.
Post by Simon C
Post by Simon C
I also want to add the ability to move an item from one source to
another.
That was intended to be added all along ...
The intention was to allow users to change the origin. We just never got around to implement it.
Post by Simon C
Post by Simon C
There are two "correct" ways to fix this.
Personally I prefer the database option and will go with this unless
anyone shouts.
Either way sounds good to me. In any case, it should be thoroughly tested out before we release it.

Call Anyone, Anytime, Anywhere in the World - FREE!
Free Internet calling from NetZero Voice
Visit http://www.netzerovoice.com today!
Simon C
2006-04-29 06:29:54 UTC
Post by Joe Pham
Post by Simon C
I want to create a node on the tree for each source.
How would the 'Organized by' function work in this case?
My idea for this is...

You could view the images/ringers in two ways.
1) as a list with rows and columns, much like the SMS/call history view, the
columns would be the existing data shown on the screen,
or
2) as thumbnails, like the current display.

In the list view you can use the column headers to sort by different
categories, in the thumbnail view it would just be by name.
The idea is to emulate the file browsers that are on linux/mac/windows and
let the user choose a view that best suits their purpose.

The ability to view all images/ringers on the same panel would go, although
it would be possible to add an "all" view like there is with call history if
there was a demand for it.

I have not started coding on this yet.

Simon
Simon C
2006-04-30 07:01:20 UTC
Post by Simon C
I'm looking at upgrading the ringer widget (and wallpapers).
I want to create a node on the tree for each source. The root
would show a summary of all the ringers, space used, number
of files etc.
Screenshot of proposed change attached. It shows how the tree will look.
I got rid of wallpaper and ringer nodes and just have media. Under the hood
the data is still arranged the same way, it is just a GUI change in the way
the data is displayed. The various sources will only be visible if there is
data in them with the exception of images and ringers, or if the user
explicitly adds them, there is no restriction in the name or quantity of
nodes.
I'm debating whether to continue showing the section heading in the panel as
it is the name of the tree node as well.

Comments?

Simon